Could have been better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at US Airways full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started working with America West and then the merger switched us over to US Airways regardless of which company name I worked under the benefits were great and work was relatively easy. The merger gave us an eventual increase in pay, though it was a very minimal amount.

Cons

Along with the merger came changes in policy and 'family' values went out the window...I ended up leaving the company because they made my life very difficult when I had to go on an early maternity leave due to going into premature labor...it was downhill after that. Very disappointing.

Other Employee Reviews for US Airways

Overall great company to work for.

Former Employee - Coordinator in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Tempe, AZ

I worked at US Airways full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, US Airways is a great company to work for. The flight benefits are great if you love to travel, the health benefits and 401k plan was also very good. Great people to work with and overall great atmosphere.

Cons

Pay, as repeatedly said...is lower than the industry average. Also, when and if you do move up in the company the salary increase is based off a percentage per the pay grade of the position jump. That means you could get another position and get an 8% increase....yet they will hire someone from outside the company with the same experience as you and may them way more than what you would get. That always seemed a little unfair to me.

Advice to Management

Look within the department and company when hiring. Also as previously said, offer a higher salary to internal employees that external employees would be offered. Give an incentive to want to stay with the company. I can't say how many times I have seen great people leave the company simply because they were not treated or paid the way they should. Senior Management doesn't realize the loss they take because of it.

Good first time practical experience for a student in an engineering program

Former Intern - Co-op Mechanical Engineer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Intern - Co-op Mechanical Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at US Airways as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Free standby travel, decent pay, great exposure to structural design in composites and sheet metal, great opportunity to learn about machine design and function, stress analysis in components.

Cons

Lower end of pay scale for a co-op mechanical engineer position, flying privileges are standby only so there is no guarantee to get on a plane, industry is not stable so a full time position is not necessarily the best option for a degree'd individual.

Advice to Management

Engineering management is fine but Maintenance and Technical management are too concerned with keeping schedule and delaying items more than accomplishing quality work.