Flight Attendant US Airways

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at US Airways full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life/balance. Great benefits. Travel perks. Flight Attendant Employee group was great and supportive union.

Cons

The company was always fighting with different employee groups which had a negative impact on the overall morale. Trickled down to the customers in different ways/ poor customer service.

Advice to Management

Create a more supportive company culture that values its employees and customers. Southwest and Alaska Air seem to have achieved this and still run profitable companies.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

The Reservation Center job is a JOKE!

Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at US Airways full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*I would say the travel benefits, but the chances of you actually getting on a plane for free are about 10%, even if you plan and book your ticket based on seats available. Not really a perk if you can't fly.

Cons

Where to start----

* When interviewed for this position I was told that US Airways and after they merge are focused on customer service and agents will not have to worry about call times. That's the only reason I wanted this job and decided to go back to a call center. That was all complete crap.

* Before you start you have to memorize 150+ airport codes, on day 2/3 if you don't make a 90 on the test you'll be let go right that second. You also will have 3 assessments throughout the first 4 weeks of training which you have to make a 85 or higher to keep your job. The on-the-job training for 4 weeks which you have to do great or your fired... then another few weeks of class, which has an assessment and if you fail your fired. I understand companies need some tests to make sure they have a good staff, but threatening firing every 2 seconds isn't a good way to communicate quality to your staff.

* During training class our instructors (who have both been with US Airways for 30+ years) talked every other word about call-time! call-time! call-time! Which was told to me and others that didn't matter. The instructors told us even them being there that long they can still get in trouble for bad call-times... even if your doing a reservation for a first time flyer internationally that had a ton of questions.

* I decided after about 2 weeks of class to quit. I made 100's on all my tests, but realized that this company is shady and just like any call center. A quote from our trainers was "We don't care about what the customer wants or needs, we just need to get them off the phone for our call-times"... I think if someone is paying crazy prices for plane tickets, bags, taxes, etc they deserve no pressure, no time limit calls. Plus, a friend worked there for about a year and advised me that 95% of her calls were angry passengers.

* You have to offer the US Airways credit card twice during every call or you get written up.

* Side note--- US Airways actually charges people a $25 (or $35 international)/ PER TICKET fee to book over the phone, when most people book 2 or 4 tickets a call... that's crazy! I would understand maybe a one-time fee of $25 for the whole reservation, but dang! You can book online for free btw....

* I'm worried with the merger of US and AA that the customer service will only get worse. I would spend a few extra bucks and get good service at Delta.

Advice to Management

Have respect for your employees (especially the new generation) and for your customers!

Having your reps to "hurry and get off the phone" is crazy when people are spending $6,000 for 2 tickets round-trip to Greece and back... You expect your agents to do all that booking in less than 4 minutes and say all you have to say...? Good luck being the World's biggest, but worse airline!

2. Great people and team, but not enough money.

I have been working at US Airways full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Leadership was excellent, and focused. Our team really worked hard to reach goals. But of course, everything changed after the merger. All the sacrifice and hard work we did was used to buy another airline, and now we have rewarded the stock holders not the employees.

Cons

Many challenges, but hardest to overcome was the unlivable salary.

Advice to Management

Make salaries competitive.