There are newer employer reviews for US Army

The Army is a unique leadership challenge provides life lessons that NO other career may provide.

Former Employee - O3 - Army - Captain in Tacoma, WA
Former Employee - O3 - Army - Captain in Tacoma, WA

I worked at US Army full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership, life lessons, confidence, personal development, ethical reasoning, work satisfaction, cultural awareness, medical competency, pay is good (for officers; enlisted eventually can be good), benefits, schooling/education, opportunities to learn languages, travel, and experience the world; opportunity to gain valuable skills that may transfer to the civilian world.

Cons

Medical is free and not all that great when it counts (because it is designed to not cater to everyone else trying to get out of work or get more than they deserve); There will be stressful and potentially life threatening situations, can be difficult on family/relationships, you can't get fired (unless you really screw up) but at the same time you can't quit - contracts aren't for everyone, in the end you do what you are told.

Senior officers are more experienced than I, so I will not judge harshly... all I would say is that keeping the politics out of Soldiers' day-to-day life is beneficial for all units regardless of size.

reviews filtered by
  1. Best 10 years of my life

Current Employee - X-ray Tech in Killeen, TX
    Current Employee - X-ray Tech in Killeen, TX

I have been working at US Army full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, medical and dental etc

Cons

less than desirable salaray, hard to progress in my field of expertise

Better communication to lower enlisted soldiers

2. Prepare to be Micromanaged

I have been working at US Army full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits which include the Montgomery GI Bill, 9/11 GI Bill, tuition assistance while on active duty, and Basic Allowance for subsidies and a housing allowance for families. The army takes care of your need for you and your family.

Cons

You might accrue 2.5 days of leave per month, however you will never use it. Your NCO's will dictate every aspect of your life. Even once you become an NCO yourself. You will work late allot, if you are single your barracks will always be cleaned. Just because you are trained on your job unless you are mission essential you will be assigned to details such as gate guard or cutting grass. Good Luck.

Give soldiers time to advance themselves to pursue higher education office instead of working 15 hour days when most of their day is spent doing nothing

There are newer employer reviews for US Army