There are newer employer reviews for US Army

The best decision I ever made

Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, GA
Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, GA

I worked at US Army full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great team building skills and the opportunity to travel, get a tuition free education, and develop organizational and leadership skills.

Cons

Deploy to hostile environments. When a soldier leaves the Army, society does not look out for veterans like they should. Therefore, it can be difficult to find employment and transition back into society.

Advice to Management

For the mission that you have I would not change anything. However, ACAP should focus soley on helping the soldier understand interviewing and resume help. The civilian sector does not try and put veterans on the right track.

Other Employee Reviews for US Army

1. It is what you make it. Lots of opportunity combined with lots of strife.

Pros

It's an opportunity to be apart of something bigger. You will see a lot of travel. There are options for education, student loan repayment, free housing and food.

Cons

Being in the Army can be painful at times. Simple things take forever to get done and you will work for and with people with little or no values regularly. To clarify that statement, the Army is big on values but not so big on enforcing said values.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate you war time recruits. Many Seniors who came in under multiple waivers for various things are now leaders who do no portray the Army in a positive light. Thin the herd at the top and recruit more selectively to fill from the bottom.

2. Joined to pay for college and ended up learning a lot

Former Employee - BN Communications Officer (S6) in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - BN Communications Officer (S6) in Dayton, OH

I worked at US Army full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Becoming a soldier builds character. I am very proud of everything I accomplished during my 12+ years in the military. The leadership experience and perspective I gained from my time there has helped me in every facet of my life.

Cons

I hate how rigid the structure is. As a top performer I was often given more responsibility but not the grade or pay to go along with it. e.g. I was doing a Captain's (O3's) role for four years before I was promoted to Captain.

Advice to Management

Accountability, accountability, accountability. You have to get rid of your under-performers. They might make your strength numbers look good, but what message do you send your top performers when you keep them around and they are entitled to the same benefits as everyone else?