www.army.mil
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for US Army

I have been working at US Army

Pros

Greatest job in the world

Cons

WAR really sucks, but even that is done with the greatest people in the world

6827 Other Employee Reviews for US Army (View Most Recent)

Great life time expeience

I have been working at US Army full-time

Pros

The people, places, training, equipment and benefits

Cons

Time away from home, move every 3 yrs

Stay out of the politics

Not a job, but a duty: a chance to pay forward for all those who sacrificed so we can be free and prosperous Americans

Former Employee - Logistics Officer in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Former Employee - Logistics Officer in Fort Belvoir, VA

I worked at US Army full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Unless you serve in one of the other Armed Services, you will never be a part of something this significant. The Army gives individuals high levels of responsibility at a very young age, junior officers and NCOs can be placed in charge of hundreds of people and millions of dollars worth of equipment in a result oriented, driven environment. Also, the camaraderie you get with your fellow soldiers is for life. Pay may seem low, but the benefits, such as BAH and medical are unrivalled; but if that's why you are interested, you are the wrong person for this. My point is that being in the Army is about being a part of something more important than individual needs, individual benefits, it is one of the few chances in our society today to EARN our citizenship...even for those of us lucky enough to be born into it.

Cons

The institutional bureaucracy is extremely frustrating and the command structure stifles creativity and values obedience over intelligence. Far too much time is spent on administrivia and recently social experiments seem more important that preparing to defend the Nation. Selection for promotion is done off paper packages instead of by people who know the candidates, as a result, the two best O5s (Lieutenant Colonels) I served under were passed over, while frauds, self-serving politicians and incompetents made O6. Much of the school house training is simply an exercise in box checking, seems to be there more to protect outdated institutions than to prepare leaders for future roles.

In this day and age, organizational structures and hierarchies created for the Cold War are obsolete, and the top down, seniority based rank structure needs to be replaced with a far more fluid and reactive model. The sad fact of the matter is that across the board, junior officers and NCOs are now better equipped to lead the Army in any environment that we can realistically expect to be deployed in. Leadership in a situation should be given to the most qualified person, not the person who has been in longest or been to the right schools, and in answer to the "how else do we know who is most qualified" question, THAT is the job of Senior Leaders, not management by power point.

There are newer employer reviews for US Army