There are newer employer reviews for US Army

Great Benefits

Current Employee - Supply Specialist  in  Fort Hood, TX
Current Employee - Supply Specialist in Fort Hood, TX

I have been working at US Army full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best healthcare
Military discounts
Paid training
education assistance
Leadership training

Cons

Deploying and leaving your family

5460 Other Employee Reviews for US Army (View Most Recent)

A rewarding last resort for someone in need.

Current Employee - E4 - Army - Specialist/Corporal  in  Fort Dix, NJ
    Current Employee - E4 - Army - Specialist/Corporal in Fort Dix, NJ

I have been working at US Army part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will be paid. The job is well respected and of course being in the military gives perks. You have a chance to serve your country.

Cons

Our country likes sending soldiers into stupid wars. The chain of command can become a hindrance to a job getting done quickly and effectively. Many times you will just be waiting or shaking your head at your superior's incompetence.

Listen to your lower enlisted since they actually see what's going on. Or at least help them understand the bigger picture so they don't think you are incompetent.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

Former Employee - Logistics Officer, Support Operations  in  Fort Drum, NY
    Former Employee - Logistics Officer, Support Operations in Fort Drum, NY

I worked at US Army full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It was a absolute Honor to serve my country to protect the ones I love, my friends and the way of life we all so enjoy.

Over the eight years I spent working in the Army as a Logistics Officer, I had the opportunity to meet some of the most amazing people and do so many things the everyday American will likely never get to do. I've gained friends for life and a vast set of skills I'll be putting to use in the civilian sector.

The number of different jobs and opportunites available is vast and the training given is the best money can provide. As long as you have the apptitude (aka GT Score taken from your ASVAB) you can do almost any job the Army provides without any prior schooling or knowledge in the subject cause they'll send you to one of the many top notch schools or training facilities to teach you. Jump out of an airplane? Yep. Electronics, vehicle, weapons repair? Yep. Shoot big guns? HELL YEAH!

Cons

Before reading these Cons please note that just the few Pros above greatly outweigh them. I would never give back the eight years I served!

The saying used alot is "One Team, One Fight", but many times you will run into people only looking out for themselves and who will throw you under the perverbial bus given the chance. These people will either be weeded out or super succesful depending on the unit leadership. Sadly many of them move up quickly through the ranks cause the good Soldiers get fed up with their BS and get out.

Times are changing the structure of the Army. With the draw down from Afghanistan and "no" fight in Iraq, the focus is more and more on the garrison way of life. Personnel in higher ranking positions are looking for ways to progress their careers and or return the Army back to it's highly regimented/structured "golden years". Many of the new regulations created by these personnel are going to force the truly skilled Soldiers out of the Army.

There is a stronger focus on physical training (PT). Yes, it is part of the job to be physically fit, but many if not most leadership focus too much on the all mighty Amry Physical Fitness Test (APFT) score and not the person's ability to do their job. I had a Battalion Commander believe on of my fellow Lieutenants was the best thing since sliced bread becuase he had killer upper body strength and could do the gymnastic rings. After working with this guy, one could see that it was amazing he could tie his boots. But becuase he could do the rings, he got special treatment. I truely hated that mentality, therefore I made it clear to my men that yes PT is important, but it should be and always will be second to the skills that pay the bills!

Remember that everyone that works for you is a just another person. Yes there is a rank structure, but show everyone down to the lowest E1 Private respect and they will in turn respect you and actually want to work for you.

The entire promotion system should be revamped to focus more on a person's ability to do their job instead of their PT score. I'd much rather have a Soldier with an average PT score, a brain between their ears and the ability to get the job done right!

There are newer employer reviews for US Army

Worked for US Army? Contribute to the Community!