U.S Army Nurse

Current Employee - CNOIC Surgical Pavilion in Fort Polk, LA
Current Employee - CNOIC Surgical Pavilion in Fort Polk, LA

I have been working at US Army full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being a nurse in the Army provides a great opportunity for advancement. I was given the opportunity to become a nurse manager with only 5 years experience as a nurse (whereas you would need 20+ years some other hospitals). Pay is also excellent. There are many bonuses if you are board certified in OB/GYN, OR, ER, ICU, etc. There are also many educational benefits, such as going to courses on the Army's dime. Also, if you do 36 months in the Army, you are also eligible to use the post 911 GI Bill and go back to school for free.

Cons

It is a challenge to not know when and where you and your family will be moving to next. I know many families that tackle it together. For me, since my husband is not active duty military, he does not want to follow me around to undesirable duty stations where employment is sparse.

Advice to Management

The Army is really what you make out of it. I know nurses that started their careers as medics and now are getting their doctorate (without a break in military service). You have to seek out opportunities for advancement. If you sit back and simply go to work and go home, your career may not take the path that you desire. Army values are how everyone should live their life: Loyalty, duty, respect, honor, selfless service, personal courage, and integrity.

Other Employee Reviews for US Army

1. Still Being All You Can Be

Current Employee - Geospatial Engineer in Leavenworth, KS
    Current Employee - Geospatial Engineer in Leavenworth, KS

I have been working at US Army full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great training and benefits. Good pay.

Cons

Must be physically fit and in shape.

2. Incredible, kinda Like a job but better.

Current Employee - 92G, E-4, Reserve in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - 92G, E-4, Reserve in Richmond, VA

I have been working at US Army part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits Job Security Good pay (especially when deployed) Training for virtually anything

Cons

Pay is based on rank & time, not job Reservist don't get much benefits. Some reserve units are poor with no opportunity for much of anything, even deployment.

Advice to Management

Make more benificial things for the Army Reserve soldiers happen, more oppertunities.