US Bureau of Labor Statistics

There are newer employer reviews for US Bureau of Labor Statistics

Not what you expect

Current Employee - Economist in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Economist in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is a good place to get your foot into the government door. The work is easy in terms of difficulty. Depending on your office, your coworkers will be of similar age so that makes it more interesting.

Cons

The work is tedious/mind numbing. It is not challenging in any way shape or form. Coming from an academic background I expected things to be easier than what I have been working on but the type of work I do is no where near worth the salary I make. The senior management is caught around 10 years in the past, which is normal for government from what I can deduce. For example, I am unable to use a laptop in meetings to take notes. They micromanage much of the work that middle management assigns and in many cases does not go through middle management to assign workloads.

Management needs to be more clear about what each position is and the level of work you will doing. They need to not micromanage as much (a little is acceptable and I even like it so you can get to work with a superior) as well as be more open to the changing world of technology and how it can impact the work we do. Utilze your employee's talents and don't force a round peg into a square hole because that is how you have done it for 20 years. I am under utilized to an extreme and am actively searching for a new job due my dissatisfaction with this organization.

47 Other Employee Reviews for US Bureau of Labor Statistics (View Most Recent)

Statisticians - best place to start your career

Former Employee - Mathematical Statistician in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Mathematical Statistician in Washington, DC

I worked at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you study stats in school, this is the premier place to start your career. Top brand name and a much better location than the Census Bureau. Opens a lot of doors in DC. I've been in the private sector and other agencies and the BLS was the most challenging job I've had. Once you do stats here, almost everywhere else is easy. The pay in the private sector doesn't get better until you get in the GS-14/manager range.

Better equipment, less politics, more collaborative and better training than the private sector. Good place to get your bearings while you figure out what you want to do longer-term. Pay is good up to GS-13.

Cons

Quickly tap out at a 12 in any agency under the 1529/1530 designation; will need to move on to other agency or other company to get 13 and above without waiting behind a queue. You can get more money through bonuses in the private sector after GS-14.

Job can become a rut, even the research-related ones. Very automated, not a lot to contribute.

Relax working environment

Current Employee - Mathematical Statistician in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Mathematical Statistician in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relax working environment
    Federal employment
    Pay is pretty good, and I don't think you can beat the benefit

Cons

Not as much challenge if you are someone full of ambition, for any company there's competition, but this place the competition is not as intense as some private company.

There are newer employer reviews for US Bureau of Labor Statistics