There are newer employer reviews for US Census Bureau

Well paying for a temp job, very unprofessionally run

Current Employee - Crew Leader Assistant in Bronx, NY
Current Employee - Crew Leader Assistant in Bronx, NY

I have been working at US Census Bureau as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

pretty good hourly pay, work hours are very flexible, not very hard labor

Cons

Other employees can be ridiculously incompetent, very unprofessional operation (I was delivering questionares from our "office" (the local playground) to "headquarters" (the back of a McDonalds)

Get your act together

610 Other Employee Reviews for US Census Bureau (View Most Recent)

Great pay, easy job

Former Employee - Enumerator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Chicago, IL

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I applied online and got an interview quite a while later. I had to attend an examination which you have to pass in order to qualify for the Enumerator position. After the exam, you have to attend 2 days of long training with your peers where you go over a ton of items. You also have to get finger printed.

The enumerator position is quite easy as the Census Bureau has everything laid out for you. All you have to do is follow the steps to fill out the forms. The pay is awesome ($18.25 per hour in Chicago) and the hours are flexible. I worked when I wanted within the confines of a reasonable timeframe.

Cons

The position only lasts 2 months so it's a good time to get extra money. It only happens every 10 years so it is a rare opportunity.

Geography Division

Current Employee - Geographer in Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - Geographer in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great 9 to 5 job with excellent benefits, including health care, TSP, and matching funds for retirement. Geography division allows you ample opportunity to contribute as much or as little as possible in the business of one's own area.

Cons

Tedious sometimes boring tasks that dull one's GIS analysis skills. This is not a graduate students dream job. Headquarters is located in Suitland, MD one of the worst suburbs of Washington DC surrounded by poverty, violence, and completely lacking in quality amenities. The location contributes greatly to the dissatisfaction of many.

Allow for a corporate hire type program that enables geographers to experience in different branches, and projects.

There are newer employer reviews for US Census Bureau