There are newer employer reviews for US Coast Guard

Federal Employer of Choice!

Current Employee - Chief Petty Officer in Elizabeth City, NC
Current Employee - Chief Petty Officer in Elizabeth City, NC

I have been working at US Coast Guard

Pros

The US Coast Guard provides the perfect opportunity to do work that truly matters. The mission of the service is fullfilling and you never find yourself wondering, "Why do I work here?" AS en employer, the Coast Guard never forgets to take care of its people. Outstanding benefits and support; outstanding opportunities in a wide variety of fields; an outstanding place to work.

Cons

Depending upon the job you chose, you have to be prepared to spend time away from home. But again, you chose those jobs. Some jobs promote slower than others.

1. Continue to be open and honest with the team and the public. 2. Beg Thad Allen to stay on board for another four years at least.

339 Other Employee Reviews for US Coast Guard (View Most Recent)

Great career opportunities, but not for everyone.

Current Employee - Logistics Officer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Logistics Officer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at US Coast Guard

Pros

The adventure and the opportunities that you get while in the CG are unmatched for peacetime missions. You will receive specialized training and travel opportunities all on the Coast Guard's dime. Education opportunities are plentiful with tuition assistance, bachelor's & Master's programs are available as well.

Cons

The Constant re-location of military life is definitely a downside. While finnancial stability is achieved, relationship stability with family, spouse and friends remain unstable. This can cause unneccessary personnel problems in the workplace. Recognition & feedback are not always given on time, depending on your supervisor. Recognition & Feedback is almost dependant on the community you are in ie Operations Afloat seem to receive more recognition than the Engineering Support Community, simply because the Ops Afloat community "catches the bad guys". It appears that the senior leadership are comprised of the best of what is left in the CG, because most of the best leaders leave the service early in their careers.

Not all officers career paths fit all officers. Some officers feel pressured to "fit into a career" while others enjoy and love their careers. Emphasis should be focused on encouraging young JO's to find the career they want, not what is expected of them in the Guard.

USCG is the best kept secret in the federal workforce.

Current Employee - Chief Warrant Officer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Chief Warrant Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Coast Guard

Pros

Wether you join the Coast Guard as an elisted member or an officer there is a lot of opportunity to make a difference while enjoying a little travel and adventure. I came in as an enlisted member and immediately went to Hawaii. From there I got to see Japan, Russia, South America, Singapore, and all over the south Pacific. Then the Coast Guard trained me in IT. Then they sent me to college for 2 years, all expenses paid. I didn't have to go to work, school only. The Coast Guard really does give you equal to what you give it. Hard work and intelligence are rewarded with promotions, choice jobs, and education. It is a very dynamic job and it's an important job.

Cons

I'll post when I find one that is unique to the Coast Guard. There are some aspects of working for the Coast Guard that some people might object to. These reasons are common to all military branches such as moving every few years. Getting underway on a boat for a week or a couple of months. I don't really consider these downsides. The moving can be very refreshing. I like to live in different places. As for getting underway on a boat, it has it's advantages. Namely travel and adventure. A Coast Guard cutter took me to Japan, Alaska, Russia, Mexico, Peru, Samoa, nameless Islands in the South Pacific, Challenger Deep (the deepest part of any ocean)

None to post here.