IT Program Manager for DoD

Current Employee - Program Manager in Alexandria, VA
Current Employee - Program Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at US Department of Defense full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working for DoD gives you an opportunity to support some very unique, interesting, and important missions and technology.

Cons

Not all DoD work is unique or interesting, though I think most of it is important. If you are a hands-on tech type, I would tend to stay away as most of that work gets contracted out and the gov't folks just do oversight and "management." It is very difficult to move up the ranks and mainatin a tech focus.

Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Defense

1. Depending on the different aspects it can be either great or terrible here.

I have been working at US Department of Defense full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible work times. You get more vacation that what I've seen at any other place, and then on top of that you are allowed to gain up to 3 days of credit time by working extra other times. You also still get decent benefits for now.

Cons

All the crap going on right now with the budget kills us. We have to deal with the possibility of being placed on leave without pay constantly! It's hard to move up in pay since you have to follow procedures and there are caps on different grades.

Advice to Management

Not much they can really do....

2. Great pay and benefits

I worked at US Department of Defense full-time

Pros

Pay, job security, benefits and YEARLY raises. Thanks congress for making federal jobs that pay way more than private jobs. Can't beat federal govt employment. The TSP is a nice deal as well and lots of holidays off every year. Generous vacation.

Cons

A little boring at times but it is federal employment. You'll have some opportunity but it's all about politics. Just act cordial and have a little energy.