US Department of Health and Human Services

www.hhs.gov
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Health and Human Services

Great place to work. Love the mission and the people. Bad boss.

Former Employee - Supervisory Human Resources Specialist in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Supervisory Human Resources Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of Health and Human Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I liked the opportunity to work in a federal agency with such a broad mission that touches the lives of so many of our citizens. People who work in the Operating Divisions (NIH, CDC, FDA, etc.) show a lot of passion for the work. Providing support services that allow them to do their best was a great feeling.

Cons

The HR shop wasn't that great. Lots of slackers. People who worked hard, were continually overworked. Those who were not pulling their weight were simply shelved or overlooked. Rewards were low as management in HR usually reserved all of the award money for themselves or overspent in other areas which meant the HR office had no money left for awards for the rank and file. Our CHCO set up an awards schedule that allowed some top rated employees only about $300 while she raked in $80K in awards one year for the collective efforts of the staff!

Advice to Management

Recognize employees for their individual and organizational contributions. Deal swiftly with poor performers. Use open merit competition as intended in the law. Select more people with technical competence and fewer who just excel at being warm and fuzzy but dumb and inefficient. People need leaders who know what they are doing. Cheerleaders are great but coaches and the team win the game.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. I worked as a Telecommunication Specialist and the team I worked with was always encouraging.

Former Employee - Telecommunnication Specialist in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Telecommunnication Specialist in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at US Department of Health and Human Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, tech support across the nation was helpful. The team I worked with always upbeat, open, professional, and most were ex-military! What a great combination to work with all week long.

Cons

I wish my truck were running strong but unfortunately mechanical problems prevented me to fulfill the contract.

Advice to Management

Please keep the team mix, part military & part non-military crew!

2. Opportunities exist to make a difference and to grow but, just as with any large bureaucracies, things can move slow.

Current Employee - Public Affairs in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Public Affairs in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Health and Human Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Federal government provides excellent benefits and security
    HHS is large enough to be able to move laterally within the organization

Cons

Slower to change than desirable

Advice to Management

Realize that to be successful in the future, it will be necessary to have a workforce that is more nimble and agile. Some of the initiatives underway in the Office of the Chief Technology Officer are good but there needs to be a much greater investment in resources to make them scalable.

I would also recommend a much greater commitment to knowledge management. Too much institutional knowledge is lost and this will only increase as greater turnover becomes the norm.