There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Health and Human Services

Great place to work. Love the mission and the people. Bad boss.

Former Employee - Supervisory Human Resources Specialist in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Supervisory Human Resources Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of Health and Human Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I liked the opportunity to work in a federal agency with such a broad mission that touches the lives of so many of our citizens. People who work in the Operating Divisions (NIH, CDC, FDA, etc.) show a lot of passion for the work. Providing support services that allow them to do their best was a great feeling.

Cons

The HR shop wasn't that great. Lots of slackers. People who worked hard, were continually overworked. Those who were not pulling their weight were simply shelved or overlooked. Rewards were low as management in HR usually reserved all of the award money for themselves or overspent in other areas which meant the HR office had no money left for awards for the rank and file. Our CHCO set up an awards schedule that allowed some top rated employees only about $300 while she raked in $80K in awards one year for the collective efforts of the staff!

Recognize employees for their individual and organizational contributions. Deal swiftly with poor performers. Use open merit competition as intended in the law. Select more people with technical competence and fewer who just excel at being warm and fuzzy but dumb and inefficient. People need leaders who know what they are doing. Cheerleaders are great but coaches and the team win the game.

70 Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Health and Human Services (View Most Recent)

I worked as a Telecommunication Specialist and the team I worked with was always encouraging.

Former Employee - Telecommunnication Specialist in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Telecommunnication Specialist in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at US Department of Health and Human Services part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment, tech support across the nation was helpful. The team I worked with always upbeat, open, professional, and most were ex-military! What a great combination to work with all week long.

Cons

I wish my truck were running strong but unfortunately mechanical problems prevented me to fulfill the contract.

Please keep the team mix, part military & part non-military crew!

Interesting place to work

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Health and Human Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is excellent

Cons

Poor incompetent leadership / a group think culture.

Promote the folks who are competent & not buddy's.

There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Health and Human Services