US Department of Homeland Security

There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Homeland Security

Good start; slow moving

Current Employee - Program Support Assistant
Current Employee - Program Support Assistant

I have been working at US Department of Homeland Security (more than a year)

Pros

If you're in the right program office, and management is good, you're lucky

Cons

Very top heavy in my office; discouraging for those of us trying to switch and/or advance in your career!!

I have worked for the agency a little over a year and have noticed how "top heavy" you are! Opportunist for lower GS grades need to be increased. Great place to work, but promotion potential is lacking :(

217 Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Homeland Security (View Most Recent)

This is a great place to start a federal career

Current Employee - Master Transportation Security Officer
    Current Employee - Master Transportation Security Officer

I have been working at US Department of Homeland Security

Pros

We have great benefits and a fast promotion rate as long as you do what we set out to do every day which is protect the traveling public.

Cons

It can be easy to get stuck in the same position for years because of a bad pass rating. other than that no other cons.

The people who can greatly improve the way we do things are the officers that do the job day in and day out. Not the suits in the office, because they dont have to do it .

good

I have been working at US Department of Homeland Security

Pros

Higher grades than DOD. We are supporting those that can make a difference in our security.

Cons

New agency compared to most or DOD so all policies or new policies and ideas have to be agreed upon and approved in DC. But ultimately a great place to work.

Branch out of DC into other areas of the U.S. Listen to employee ideas especially those with experience. Investigate all the turnover in leadership and employees --especially buyers and be willing to make changes.

There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Homeland Security