US Department of Labor

There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Labor

Collecting data for CPI

Former Employee - CPI Price Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - CPI Price Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at US Department of Labor part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training was good. Part time, flexible schedule. Gathering prices in stores and restaurants was easy. I was able to do it in chunks around my schedule. I was the perfect job for a mom, work while the kids are in school, then be home with them.

Cons

Manager was unconcerned about safety, sent me door to door in the getto to price rental housing. I quit the job because I was in fear of my life. I would imagine there is less of that now that Zillow and other companies have that data, but it was really scary to be sent door to door in Compton and Watts.

Use crime data, don't send employees to unsafe areas.

86 Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Labor (View Most Recent)

You rarely get a straight answer to any question relating to your cases, regulations, directives, etc.

Current Employee - Compliance Officer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Compliance Officer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at US Department of Labor

Pros

Good benefits, lots of options,
    time off
    transit subsidy
    good pay once you've been doing it for about 5 years, at the cost of losing your hair
    feels good to make a difference in EEO

Cons

insurance premiums (but that's everywhere) keep going up some friends believe that b/c I work for the government I pay little for medical, dental, vision. Not true, you'd be surprised.
    Management priorities/communicatoin skills,
    office politics go all the way up to the Region Office, not sure if they go past that (but probably).
    interoffice communication and collaboration is lacking. Little-to-no information sharing among different districts and regions.
    Training is nonexistent
    Even when directives are clear, you're told to do it differently.

there is a lot that needs to be fixed, and unless there is a real effort made to make changes throughout all the regions and all the DO, there is very little that will make a difference. What good is it to assign directives if they are disregarded by the RO or the DO? How can a directive have 3 different interpretations; either it was not well written or the people reading lack the skill to understand it. Why are your eployees afraid to communicate with and collaborate with other offices? there are a lot of things to fix, it won't happen right away and it won't happen well unless everyone understands what needs to be done.

Great place to work in the federal government: perform a quality service and get rewarded for it.

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at US Department of Labor

Pros

This is one of the best agencies to work for in the federal government because each day, you know you're performing a valuable service on behalf of the country's wage earners. It's extremely rewarding, offers excellent opportunities for advancement, family-friendly atmosphere/flexible with family needs, and provides terrific benefits package.

Cons

Maybe get a little monotonous at times and some members of Senior Management should receive better training in staff supervision. Also computer systems are very archaic and all staff should receive training on common software such as Excel and PowerPoint so new employees who come with these skills already shouldn't have to train tenured staff on how to operate a computer.

Train your tenured staff. New employees to the federal government with degrees, significant training and credentials shouldn't have to train current employees with 30 years of service under their belt. Also base your pay increases on performance - NOT TENURE.

There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Labor