US Department of Labor

There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Labor

Okay in a bad economy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

More job security than private sector.

Cons

Crazy and dangerous people are protected by unions. Political leadership makes really bad decisions that threaten job security.

Speak out against political leadership.

86 Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Labor (View Most Recent)

Collecting data for CPI

Former Employee - CPI Price Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - CPI Price Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at US Department of Labor part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training was good. Part time, flexible schedule. Gathering prices in stores and restaurants was easy. I was able to do it in chunks around my schedule. I was the perfect job for a mom, work while the kids are in school, then be home with them.

Cons

Manager was unconcerned about safety, sent me door to door in the getto to price rental housing. I quit the job because I was in fear of my life. I would imagine there is less of that now that Zillow and other companies have that data, but it was really scary to be sent door to door in Compton and Watts.

Use crime data, don't send employees to unsafe areas.

You rarely get a straight answer to any question relating to your cases, regulations, directives, etc.

Current Employee - Compliance Officer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Compliance Officer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at US Department of Labor

Pros

Good benefits, lots of options,
    time off
    transit subsidy
    good pay once you've been doing it for about 5 years, at the cost of losing your hair
    feels good to make a difference in EEO

Cons

insurance premiums (but that's everywhere) keep going up some friends believe that b/c I work for the government I pay little for medical, dental, vision. Not true, you'd be surprised.
    Management priorities/communicatoin skills,
    office politics go all the way up to the Region Office, not sure if they go past that (but probably).
    interoffice communication and collaboration is lacking. Little-to-no information sharing among different districts and regions.
    Training is nonexistent
    Even when directives are clear, you're told to do it differently.

there is a lot that needs to be fixed, and unless there is a real effort made to make changes throughout all the regions and all the DO, there is very little that will make a difference. What good is it to assign directives if they are disregarded by the RO or the DO? How can a directive have 3 different interpretations; either it was not well written or the people reading lack the skill to understand it. Why are your eployees afraid to communicate with and collaborate with other offices? there are a lot of things to fix, it won't happen right away and it won't happen well unless everyone understands what needs to be done.

There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Labor