US Department of Labor
www.dol.gov Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

Program analyst

Program Analyst (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

ProsSense of patriotic pride. Public service. Meaningful work. Great pay plus a 5% match from government for Thrift Savings Plan (401k). Good health care benefits. $125 monthly transit subsidy to help pay for commute. Steady work in the face of a serious recession. (So far, at least. We will see where our funding goes during the sequester and upcoming budget fights between President Obama and Republicans in Congress.) Getting to work with some of the best and brightest.

ConsNot respected by taxpayers. Some will even resent you and want to take away some of the good benefits mentioned above. Increasingly, you and your salaary are a political pawn. Government could get shut down over funding issues. You have to live in Washington, DC to perform the job. Have to deal with new poltical appointees every four years -- and you may not agree with their political views and/or the direction they want to take the Agency. The working conditions are Spartan, drab and depressing, depending on the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the career staff and you will get some good insights and advice. More teleworking opportunities would make staff happier and more productive. Give more flexibility as to the hours one has to be at work. Core hours are 9:30-3:00 Mon-Fri. Should instead be 10:00-2:00.

wage and hour investigator

Wage and Hour Investigator (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time for less than a year

Pros: travel, constant learning, you won't be bored. Cons: Tons of reading, no joke, for the first 2 mth of… Advice to Senior Management: pay more ? Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great place!

Workers' Compensation Claims Examiner (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time for less than a year

Pros: Flextime, flexplace, stimulating/important job to do, no shortage of work,… Cons: A lot of the paper work seems unneccessary. I can't… Advice to Senior Management: Keep doing what you're doing. More
There are newer reviews on US Department of Labor.

Worked for US Department of Labor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Department of Labor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Department of Labor CEO Thomas E. Perez. All reviews posted anonymously by US Department of Labor employees.