There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Labor

High Pay, Low Expectations

Current Employee - Claims Examiner  in  Boston, MA
Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Boston, MA

I have been working at US Department of Labor

Pros

The compensation seems high for the amount of work that we do. The benefits are good. There is no problem taking time off for medical or personal reasons.

Cons

Management is terrible. Half of the frontline managers and all of the senior management is just the worst I have ever seen.

Try asking employees for feedback once in a while, and then listen to it. They are out of touch with what we do. If they had a choice between doing nothing, and doing something with a neutral outcome for themselves that would benefit their employees immensely, they will always choose to do nothing rather than lift a finger.

82 Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Labor (View Most Recent)

great place to work; good place to advance

Current Employee - Investigator
    Current Employee - Investigator

I have been working at US Department of Labor

Pros

Good place to work. Management is fair; the pay is pretty decent if you put in the time; and the work is always varied. Morale is generally pretty good. The only problems come from the old GS system, which basically means you have to wait in line to advance. Unlike the private sector, the Government does not create jobs on a need and merit basis. They may advance you on merit, but the position is never CREATED on a merit basis. As such, you have to wait your turn in line.

Cons

Not enough attorneys to prosecute cases that come to our attention.

Start to hire more attorneys to prosecute cases.

The Department of Labor is a very well-rounded place to start one's career

Former Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of Labor

Pros

The Department of Labor provides a great job opportunity for those who are just getting out of college or grad school as well as seasoned employees. There are a number of special programs for MBA fellows, similar to that of other branches of the Federal Government. All the technology if fairly up to date and generally everyone is friendly. Hours are reasonable and flexible.

Cons

The Bureaucracy is frustrating at times, especially for new employees or individuals who are new to the GS pay schedule.

I would recommend keeping up the good work and encouraging collaboration and innovation that is critical in this day and age.

There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Labor

Worked for US Department of Labor? Contribute to the Community!