There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Labor

There is no such thing as leadership or management!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Labor

Pros

Decent salary, respected title, decent benefits.

Cons

Some of the senior staffers have been at DOL for over a quarter of a century. They do not understand how technology has changed the workforce. We have wasted BILLIONS of money on programs that do not work, but senior career staffers remember how they worked "back in the day". Most career staffers are so old that they do not want to change anything because they only a year or two to retirement and they just want to sit there buying time until they retire. If anyone comes up with a new idea, it dies because the senior career staffers do not want to do anything new.

Political leaders are good in front of the cameria, but they need work on leading!

reviews filtered by

High Pay, Low Expectations

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Boston, MA

I have been working at US Department of Labor

Pros

The compensation seems high for the amount of work that we do. The benefits are good. There is no problem taking time off for medical or personal reasons.

Cons

Management is terrible. Half of the frontline managers and all of the senior management is just the worst I have ever seen.

Try asking employees for feedback once in a while, and then listen to it. They are out of touch with what we do. If they had a choice between doing nothing, and doing something with a neutral outcome for themselves that would benefit their employees immensely, they will always choose to do nothing rather than lift a finger.

2. great place to work; good place to advance

Current Employee - Investigator
    Current Employee - Investigator

I have been working at US Department of Labor

Pros

Good place to work. Management is fair; the pay is pretty decent if you put in the time; and the work is always varied. Morale is generally pretty good. The only problems come from the old GS system, which basically means you have to wait in line to advance. Unlike the private sector, the Government does not create jobs on a need and merit basis. They may advance you on merit, but the position is never CREATED on a merit basis. As such, you have to wait your turn in line.

Cons

Not enough attorneys to prosecute cases that come to our attention.

Start to hire more attorneys to prosecute cases.

There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Labor