US Department of Labor

www.dol.gov
There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Labor

Good place to work

I have been working at US Department of Labor

Pros

Most managers allow a good work life balance. The benefits are good. My coworkers are very dedicated to the mission of the agency and collaborate to make the work product the best it can be. The office environment is pleasant.

Cons

Recognition for a job well done seems to skew toward managers rather than the staff who actually do the nitty gritty work. Less than stellar management aptitude in middle management. Limited to non-existent opportunity for training in new technologies.

Pay more attention to training and more balanced recognition of employees. Be more inclusive in soliciting employee opinion and feedback on initiatives and ongoing evaluation of programs.

86 Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Labor (View Most Recent)

There is no such thing as leadership or management!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Labor

Pros

Decent salary, respected title, decent benefits.

Cons

Some of the senior staffers have been at DOL for over a quarter of a century. They do not understand how technology has changed the workforce. We have wasted BILLIONS of money on programs that do not work, but senior career staffers remember how they worked "back in the day". Most career staffers are so old that they do not want to change anything because they only a year or two to retirement and they just want to sit there buying time until they retire. If anyone comes up with a new idea, it dies because the senior career staffers do not want to do anything new.

Political leaders are good in front of the cameria, but they need work on leading!

High Pay, Low Expectations

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Boston, MA

I have been working at US Department of Labor

Pros

The compensation seems high for the amount of work that we do. The benefits are good. There is no problem taking time off for medical or personal reasons.

Cons

Management is terrible. Half of the frontline managers and all of the senior management is just the worst I have ever seen.

Try asking employees for feedback once in a while, and then listen to it. They are out of touch with what we do. If they had a choice between doing nothing, and doing something with a neutral outcome for themselves that would benefit their employees immensely, they will always choose to do nothing rather than lift a finger.

There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Labor