US Department of State
www.careers.state.gov Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

Good but could be better

Seecurity Specialist (Current Employee)
Arlington, VA

I have been working at US Department of State full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe prestige that comes from working at State. meaningful work.

ConsThe disconnect between foregin service, civil service, PSC, and contractor. Too much nepotism. Seems like you need to be related to get some positions especially the intern program.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall State is great but there are some areas for improvement. PSC healthcare reimbursment is one. Why not reimburse employees on a monthly basis?

Long hours, women definitely cannot have it all!

Public Diplomacy, Consular (Former Employee)
Arlington, VA

I worked at US Department of State full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: The most amazing colleagues. The chance to shape history. Cons: Lack of female leadership--most women at the top are workaholics who sacrificed their spouse's career opportunities to get there, or worse, are angry and bitter… Advice to Senior Management: Get out of the Stone Ages. Flex time, telecommuting,… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Excellent practical experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of State as an intern for less than a year

Pros: Relevant, exciting, important work. Co-workers were bright, hard-working, and (surprisingly) young. Teamwork encouraged. Lots of professional opportunities. My office's Director… Cons: Can be slow-moving and bureaucratic. Internship was unpaid. Different bureaus feel like… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on US Department of State.

Worked for US Department of State? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Department of State reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Department of State CEO John Kerry. All reviews posted anonymously by US Department of State employees.