There are newer employer reviews for US Department of State

Great place to work

Current Employee - Facility Manager  in  Washington, DC
Current Employee - Facility Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of State as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

Chance to make a difference, travel, meet interesting people and make a decent salary. Educational opportunities both in language and skill set. Being part of a great team!

Cons

Sometimes stuck with an incompetent supervisor. Occasionally, overburdened with paperwork..

Do not promote incompetent people

335 Other Employee Reviews for US Department of State (View Most Recent)

Educational

I worked at US Department of State as an intern

Pros

Internship coordinators are very helpful and ensure that you get a well rounded experience in your consulate or embassy through rotating in different sections. Work is very hands on interesting--you're actually influencing foreign policy not matter how small your task may be.

Cons

Depending on which embassy or consulate you are at, housing may not be provided and you are left with having to find housing in a foreign country with obstetrical such as language barriers and so on. It challenges you in a good way but is very stressful and expensive depending on your country.

Try to provide housing to interns! I understand budgets make it hard but we are providing free labor...the least you could do is find us a safe place to stay.

My internship was a great experience

I worked at US Department of State

Pros

I interned at FSI (Foreign Service Institute) in an area that was exactly aligned with what I was studying undergrad. I really enjoyed what I learned and the people I met.

Cons

It would have been helpful if it were paid.

There are newer employer reviews for US Department of State

Worked for US Department of State? Contribute to the Community!