US Department of State

www.state.gov
There are newer employer reviews for US Department of State

Educational

I worked at US Department of State as an intern

Pros

Internship coordinators are very helpful and ensure that you get a well rounded experience in your consulate or embassy through rotating in different sections. Work is very hands on interesting--you're actually influencing foreign policy not matter how small your task may be.

Cons

Depending on which embassy or consulate you are at, housing may not be provided and you are left with having to find housing in a foreign country with obstetrical such as language barriers and so on. It challenges you in a good way but is very stressful and expensive depending on your country.

Try to provide housing to interns! I understand budgets make it hard but we are providing free labor...the least you could do is find us a safe place to stay.

368 Other Employee Reviews for US Department of State (View Most Recent)

My internship was a great experience

I worked at US Department of State

Pros

I interned at FSI (Foreign Service Institute) in an area that was exactly aligned with what I was studying undergrad. I really enjoyed what I learned and the people I met.

Cons

It would have been helpful if it were paid.

Summer Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of State as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Fascinating work; you get to be involved in up-to-the-minute breaking news around the world and learn a lot about trade, diplomacy, human rights, conflict, the environment - you name it. Ease of moving around and taking on new projects. Very friendly people. The DOS does invest in its people and encourages mentorship relationships.

Cons

The massive bureaucracy makes anything very slow and limits your ability to create innovative work or papers. This makes it more frustrating than doing similar work in NGOs which have a lot more freedom to say and do as they please.

Expand flexible work opportunities