Smart People

Current Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
Current Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of State as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great experience - Looks great on a resume - Real work for a real cause

Cons

No pay for interns, only transit costs are covered. I would recommend applying to fellowships through university to fund housing costs.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great Overseas Career

Current Employee - Information Management Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Information Management Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of State full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Living overseas and the travel is what made this a great career for me. Although few in numbers, there are some really wonderful and talented people who care about their mission and helping others. Lots of autonomy.

Cons

The State Department Foreign Service tends to attract elitists – we have more than our fair share of overeducated people with little commonsense. If you are not a shameless self-promoter you’ll have difficulties moving up the career ladder.

Advice to Management

Take full responsibility when things go wrong.

It's a Mixed Bag

Current Employee - Foreign Affairs Officer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Foreign Affairs Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of State full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with some wonderfully bright people on interesting issues facing the country. Even for a civil servant, travel is possible and a huge bonus. Salary and benefits are competitive, especially during the tough economic situation we face now. Upward mobility is definitely possible. Training is ample and sometimes worthwhile. You have access to some of the world's foremost experts on foreign affairs, climate change, human rights, and law. You will be able to network easily with both public and private sector people.

Cons

Human resources management is appalling and a culture of not holding bad apples accountable and punishing those who speak out against bad apples is pervasive. Scapegoating is more common than you realize and people are too scared for their own careers to speak out. The bureaucracy is inefficient and it is easy to burn out and develop low motivation as a result. You must be self-motivated, which isn't a bad thing, but it can be challenging when the culture does not encourage creativity and free thinking. May be too conservative and slow moving for young or impatient people.

Advice to Management

Hold your people accountable, even tenured employees, especially when their colleagues and subordinates raise legitimate issues.