US Department of State
www.careers.state.gov Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

Interesting work and opportunities to travel

I have been working at US Department of State full-time

ProsThe work is interesting and there are many opportunities to work on relevant and pressing international issues. There are also many travel opportunities and good benefits. Despite the recent budget cuts, employees maintain job security and are largely unaffected.

ConsThe State Department can be overly bureaucratic and there is often much red tape involved in changing positions, getting training, or going abroad. The organization tends to be hierarchical with managers wielding a lot of prestige and influence, though not always warranted.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome managers stay in positions too long, but most are professional and well qualified

Foreign Service Officer--Adventure, Consuming Lifestyle

Foreign Service Officer (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of State full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Travel, challenging positions and assignments, decent salary and benefits. Depending on the position, you can… Cons: The lifestyle can be tough on partners and children. There… Advice to Senior Management: Be flexible with families or singles who are caretakers (an increasing number of adults in the U.S.). Stand outside the bubble every… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Smart People

Intern (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of State as an intern for less than a year

Pros: - Great experience - Looks great on a resume - Real work… Cons: No pay for interns, only transit costs are covered. I… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on US Department of State.

Worked for US Department of State? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Department of State reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Department of State CEO John Kerry. All reviews posted anonymously by US Department of State employees.