US Department of State

www.state.gov

I had a great experience at the state department. I learned soo much while working there.

Intern (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThere are great benefits at the state department. Many jobs require froeign travel or interaction with foreign counterparts. You always have to be on your toes because things in the worlld can change drastically. Staff is supportive and there are many resources to promote development.

ConsSometimes the pace of things can be kind of slow. The pace may stifle ambition if people let it. It's easy to become complacent with your job and position.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe state Department shuold take efforts to make sure people stay motivated. Furthermore it would be better if goals and guidelines were explained to people outside of management to know what's going on.

Lack of Responsibility

Foreign Service Officer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of State

Pros: FSO jobs rotate every two years on average, so you… Cons: In Washington DC you do not get much responsibility until… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Definitely a great learning experience, but incredibly bureaucratic at times.

Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of State

Pros: networking opportunities, sense of public service, job security, travel (as a FSO),… Cons: lots of red tape (like any agency though), strong sense… Advice to Senior Management: It's incredibly important to really make the most out of the high-school and college age interns who… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on US Department of State.

Worked for US Department of State? Contribute to the Community!