There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

This has been the best job I have ever had the privilege to enjoy.

Current Employee - Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the job security and the annual raises. I really appreciate being able to give back to veterans that I serve. As a veteran myself, I have been served well by the VA and now I have the opportunity to provide service to other veterans. I have great hours, great co-workers, and great leadership in the higher echelons.

Cons

The downside to working at the VA are minimal. The opportunity for upward movement is limited because people tend to remain in the VA for a long time. Therefore, being able to take a supervisor's position once they leave comes only once in a while. Also, there is a lot of competition for these coveted positions.

Keep doing what you've been doing. Small changes make a big difference.

548 Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs (View Most Recent)

A Great Opportunity to make a difference.

Current Employee - Program Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in New Orleans, LA

Pros

A never ending chance to improve something.

Cons

It take persistence to achieve objectives.

Less micro-management of the small stuff and more oversight of upper management.

If you have no military background, then the VA is probably not the place for you

Former Employee - Web Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The parking lot was big - usually plenty of parking.

Cons

In order to get any work done here, you will be forced to play a long, slow political game with those you need work with.
    Did I mention that everything at the VA moves at a snail's pace?
    Most (if not all) managers at the VA have some sort of military background, and once they find out you don't, you can pretty much kiss your career with the VA goodbye.
    The work environment was very bland.
    Sometime it took up to 45 minutes to get through all of the security just to get into the building.

Eliminate everything that is currently hindering any sort of progress, which means that just about all internal management will essentially need to fire itself before anything improves.

There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs