There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

Good people but tough to feel you make an impact.

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Research Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fascinating research, passionate employees, people who really want to help Veterans

Cons

Organization is so huge with so many rules and policies that unless you are a physician and interact with patients on a daily basis, it's hard to feel like you're really making a difference. I am leaving because I want more advancement than just a standard 1k salary increase every year (no matter my performance) and actual performance reviews - not just a survey we sign off on - so that I can get feedback on my progress.

Keep in mind that younger employees in the Bay Area often don't fit - and don't want to fit - the federal worker stereotype. We need to be challenged and have feedback, or you'll lose us to a more fulfilling job in the private sector

reviews filtered by
  1. Management just doesn't care

Current Employee - FMS in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - FMS in Orlando, FL

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time

Pros

Good pay and time off.

Cons

Crisis management, too many "yes" and face people, Or you get a lot that just sit in the office all day and don't bother to find out what is really happening and who is providing great service. Guess you could say that about the outside too but favoritism, nepotism are the rule here. I've had enough.

Get up, look around, and do the right thing. Earn your big money.

2. M

Current Employee - Medical Support Assistant in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Medical Support Assistant in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The plus to this job is serving the veterans. Taking the extra step always makes the veteran very happy. A little kindness goes a long way. Veterans will remember who you are when they return and always be happy when they return to the facility knowing that they were helped when they needed to be helped.

Cons

To much work required for the pay. In addition, a degree is also required for this job position. No growth within the organization. Non-veterans have been hired over veterans. Non-veterans have been hired in a higher pay grade than veterans. Veterans have been more qualified then non-veterans, but the non-veteran still was hired.

There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs