Management

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable job security working for the government

Cons

Decentralized leadership across the three administrations

Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

Those that say it's a great place never worked at the Columbus VA

Former Employee - Supervisory Accountant in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Supervisory Accountant in Columbus, OH

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are definitely no pros.

Cons

Basically, I was hired to be a scapegoat for problems that preexisted, problems that were so severe that they were basically out of my control considering my supervisors had no control over them themselves for years. I supervised employees threatening violence & legal action, not working, coming and going as they pleased, and talking back to me. Things became critical immediately. Immediate management was terribly unsupportive. I was belittled in front of the employees I supervised (as well as others in subordinate level positions in other departments). My reports eventually caught on to this and would run to them and complain knowing that they would come down on me. This undermined my ability to effectively manage them, and I couldn't discipline or do anything without getting in trouble. Unfortunately, the culture of the place all trickled down from the top. The Executive Director of the facility even made an embarrassing comment in front of my immediate supervisor (while I was standing there) that she heard I was looking for another job, which I found to be terribly unprofessional and intimidating. I went to the associate director twice about my supervisors (he/she even witnessed an incident where the second line supervisor was so bold as to blame me for a problem being addressed at that moment), and I went to HR at least a half dozen times. No one did anything. HR told me they couldn't help me. What ultimately came out of one of my meetings with the associate director was he/she was aware of the problems, but because my second level supervisor was so good at the technical aspects of his/her job, he/she wasn't going to do anything about it. So, he/she was allowed to run unchecked, doing and saying anything he/she wanted. Untrustworthy people: My immediate supervisor tried to dissuade me from interviewing for the position I ultimately left for, planting seeds of doubt about the place's work environment. Ultimately, I found out that he/she did that because his/her spouse had applied for the job and to better his/her chances of getting an offer. When I gave my notice, my immediate supervisor became extremely ornery, forcing me to take medical leave because of the stress. HR still forced me to walk around the building for an hour and a half to sign out of each of the departments including nearly forcing me to go back into the department I worked in to get signed off. They even intimidated me, asking me to take annual leave instead of sick leave and that by going out on Family Medical Leave that I was going to be burning my bridges with all the other VAs since they were all connected. My predecessor and well as my sucessor couldn't handle it either. They only managed to stay in the job long enough until they could get out as well. The positions are also graded too low based on the complexity of the job and amount of workload.

Advice to Management

Stop intimidating employees and throwing them under the bus, accept responsibility for your actions, and hire managers that have people skills.

2. the moral in the human resources department is low.

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time

Pros

Its a job but the moral is low.

Cons

Management just cares about results. Turnover in the department is high.

Advice to Management

Wish you would care about employees instead of making yourself look good.