There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

Make friends of management

Former Employee - Clerical/Administrative (Various Titles) in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Clerical/Administrative (Various Titles) in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the same benefits that would be for any federal job, nothing outstanding about VA

Cons

Out of several federal agencies I have worked at, the most who you know and favorites for promotion I have seen. Management mouths equality, fairness and neutrality, but do not practice it.

Take a very close look at who you are promoting, often the "most shiny"(friend, perky or relative) gets the job, not the best choice, especially in positions of influence.

547 Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs (View Most Recent)

Logical people need not apply...

Current Employee - Loan Specialist
    Current Employee - Loan Specialist

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Flexible leave. Retirement benefits.

Cons

If it makes sense don't do it. If you think your here to help vets, you are wrong, the lender is who we cowtow to. I've seen better salary and health insurance in the private sector. Know that you are just a number, you are not here to think. Vets have veterans preference in the application process however I would not refer my worst enemy to work here. If you do choose to apply, be forewarned the application process moves at the speed of government often weaving you through convoluted twists and turns only to never get hired or worse actually getting the job. A large part of the bonuses are distributed to management and you're lucky to see 2% of your salary. Great deeds are largely overlooked. There is no room for growth unless you are a blonde female and are party to the "Suzy Miss Sunshine Club". They spy on your instant messages and emails. The younger employees are often looking for jobs elsewhere and the older employees have been beaten into submission, i.e. the Government Beat down. The employees wear the disdain for jobs on their faces day in and day out, some counting down the longest days to retirement, few grasp on to that last bit of hope that a job offer will come through and some, well some have taken the short walk down a long barrel.

We are here to help veterans, not serve big business or even try to make them happy. The lenders certainly see the fruits of dragging our vets across the coals, management should stand true to the guidelines and quit bending the rules for the big banks. "To care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan" Lincoln

Aim to micromanage the lenders, not the employees. Reward inspirational efforts, exceptional work, phenomenal ideas, and superior employees. Offer tuition assistance. Allow employees to use different paths that get the same work done. If an employee doesn't meet productivity year after year, fire them. We are people, not machines treat us as such.

Work study

Former Employee - Work Study in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Work Study in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

you can study here and it is tax free

Cons

patients can be stressed out

none