US Department of Veterans Affairs

There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

VA for last 15 years

Current Employee - Not Saying Because of Fear of Retaliation in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Not Saying Because of Fear of Retaliation in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Once you know how to navigate the system, you will understand how to get ahead.

Cons

archaic promotion schedule for nurses, office culture is toxix, racisim is rampant, inefficiencies reign, ethics is only on paper.

634 Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs (View Most Recent)

Good training, clique staff

Former Employee - VALOR Nurse Extern in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - VALOR Nurse Extern in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

As a student you get awesome pay and are given a lot of autonomy. I felt trusted and supported by my preceptor and the unit staff. The patients are overall awesome and it is very rewarding work. I became very comfortable in the nursing role, learning everything from bedside manner to charting.

Cons

The staff is uncomfortably cliquey, which is hard for me. The equipment is old. I was extremely uncomfortable working there as I felt like an outsider. Schedule is rough, 6 12 hour shifts and 1 8 hour per pay period.

Contract Specialist

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Salary and benefits are good. Ability to move up quickly given the demand in this career field.

Cons

Workload is heavy and most stressful environment I've ever worked in. Burnout is common. You won't be able to work in this environment more than 3-5 years. Unfortunately, very little opportunity to move to another department.

Worst management I've ever seen. It's no surprise that the VA is getting bad publicity. Management is focused on making next grade versus people management and development.

There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs