Enriching.

Former Employee - Management in Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - Management in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Pay, Stability, Benefits, and Location.

Cons

The place is filled with neptism on all levels. Some of the moves I saw during my tenure were shocking. I saw blatant preferential treatment of "drinking buddies" and lot of looks the other way to save operating costs. Input from employees that don't fit the image are ignored. I saw individuals that failed multple drug tests become managers. I saw others escorted out the door for the same infraction. The atomosphere is very thick with impending doom to produce numbers. Its big biz in it's rawest form.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the negative management tactics and allow the workforce to guide the way. If you want to improve efficiency you need experience and good moral. Not the whip.

Other Employee Reviews for US Foods

Good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Opportunity to do what I do best. Let me run with creative ideas. Able to buy out of the warehouse at a very good price.

Cons

So big a lot is decided at corporate without real knowledge of how a distribution center works. Not any different from any other mega company.

2. Crash course in a little of everything

Former Employee - Buyer in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Buyer in Boca Raton, FL

Pros

Good resume-builder, invaluable training and expansion of skills/programs. Loved the chance to review new products from vendors and the test kitchen was great!

Cons

Long hours, stress stress stress!! Constantly being bombarded with report after report to review left little time to get your buying done for the day. Constant changing of categories and responsibilities did not allow for any specialization. High turnover in management, poorly run division led to layoffs in the past couple of years.

Advice to Management

Need to allow for more of a work/life balance for the salaried workers. You do not own them just because they are salaried. Expecting 50-60 hour work weeks for 40 hours worth of pay is a crime. Don't take advantage!