US Geological Survey
www.usgs.gov Reston, VA 5000+ Employees

Valuable experience

Physical Science Technician (Former Employee)
Boise, ID

I worked at US Geological Survey as an intern for less than a year

Prosvery flexible work schedule, paid holidays, per diem for days doing field work. I was given a lot of independence and a comfortable amount of responsibility as an intern. Some of the lab work was monotonous, but I was given the opportunity to do research, create laboratory experiment protocols, and learn about the work of most scientists in the office.

ConsLogging OT is definitely discouraged, and certain types of lab work might require you to adjust your work schedule, but it depends entirely on your assignments. As it is part of the federal government, a fair amount of time is devoted to paperwork, and specific procedures regarding email, logging hours, etc., so expect that to be a regular part of your workday.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. The effort to improve communication between different divisions of the USGS was interesting to see, even as an intern.

It is a great place to work for a easy going people

Hydrologic Technician (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

I have been working at US Geological Survey as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: Very laid back. They give you the freedom to get you work done at your own pace; that is assuming you get it done. Summer… Cons: If you are a driven person...you will stand out. However, for a civil engineer like me, I didnt find a lot of purpose in what… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

No Appreciation

I have been working at US Geological Survey

Pros: Lots of time off, alternative work schedules, decent health benefits Cons: Management doesn't appreciate the job you do. Taking on extra… Advice to Senior Management: Get rid of the dead weight employees More

There are newer reviews on US Geological Survey.

Worked for US Geological Survey? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Geological Survey reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by US Geological Survey employees.