There are newer employer reviews for US Geological Survey

Contract work is okay, better if government employee

Current Employee - Contractor in Santa Cruz, CA
Current Employee - Contractor in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at US Geological Survey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid-back, friendly atmosphere. Great people.

Cons

Lots of down time. Projects take a long time to reach completion. Hard to get a permanent position, most depend on funding from year to year.

Other Employee Reviews for US Geological Survey

1. Valuable experience

Former Intern - Physical Science Technician in Boise, ID
    Former Intern - Physical Science Technician in Boise, ID

I worked at US Geological Survey as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

very flexible work schedule, paid holidays, per diem for days doing field work. I was given a lot of independence and a comfortable amount of responsibility as an intern. Some of the lab work was monotonous, but I was given the opportunity to do research, create laboratory experiment protocols, and learn about the work of most scientists in the office.

Cons

Logging OT is definitely discouraged, and certain types of lab work might require you to adjust your work schedule, but it depends entirely on your assignments. As it is part of the federal government, a fair amount of time is devoted to paperwork, and specific procedures regarding email, logging hours, etc., so expect that to be a regular part of your workday.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. The effort to improve communication between different divisions of the USGS was interesting to see, even as an intern.

2. It is a great place to work for a easy going people

Current Contractor - Hydrologic Technician in Louisville, KY
    Current Contractor - Hydrologic Technician in Louisville, KY

I have been working at US Geological Survey as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Very laid back. They give you the freedom to get you work done at your own pace; that is assuming you get it done. Summer times are especially great because you are outside, usually in pretty remote places making discharge measurements. Any travel you get pretty nice per-diem. Per-diem was new to me so I enjoyed that. Easy job, not a stressing environment.

Cons

If you are a driven person...you will stand out. However, for a civil engineer like me, I didnt find a lot of purpose in what I was doing. Sure I enjoyed my work, it was great being outside (except for the winter) but The USGS are Data Collectors and that was never a passion of mine. I feel all that accomplished at the end of the day