There are newer employer reviews for US Home Systems

Great summer job that helped me to build confidence in a friendly atmosphere.

Former Employee - In-Store Promoter  in  Tempe, AZ
Former Employee - In-Store Promoter in Tempe, AZ

I worked at US Home Systems

Pros

The hours were very reasonable, and my manager worked hard to provide me with the tools necessary to do my job.

Cons

Working every weekend is part of the job. Senior management does not do well to keep marketing materials up to date and informational.

My manager while I worked for the company was great. I did not appreciate the big shots that came to speak because they were condescending and did not know how to value people beneath themselves.

3 Other Employee Reviews for US Home Systems (View Most Recent)

This was a very strange place to work that takes advantage of new people and doesn't pay them for their time and effort.

Former Employee - Salesperson  in  Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Hayward, CA

I worked at US Home Systems

Pros

Experience in learning how to deal with a very mean and sadistic trainer.

Cons

They send new untrained salespeople out on appointments in hopes that they will be able to sell products they know nothing about. Very high turnover of sales staff. Everyone was new because you only last a month with their system.

Hire, train, and retain a real sales staff. The product is good.

Long Hours, long drives, little money

Former Employee - Ouside Sales Representative  in  Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Ouside Sales Representative in Vista, CA

I worked at US Home Systems

Pros

The products and services were good quality, the training was adequate, and management, at least on the local level, was supportive and available.

Cons

The amount of time sitting in the car, driving all day (and sometimes into the evening) to appointments that may or may not have been properly vetted for actual interest in what we were selling was discouraging.

The "hours" as such were also often tough. I would be required to set up displays at Home Depot stores to get your own leads and appointments as well as schmooze the kitchen designers in addition to running anywhere from 1-4 preset appointments in people's homes. These appointments would begin at 9am and go until 9pm Mon-Fri, and from 10am-3pm on Saturdays, making for a full 6day workweek. I would find out the night before what my next day's appointments would be, and though sometimes this meant a short work day ending at noon, it more often than not meant being out until 10-11pm.

I was compensated for driving, but had to submit extremely detailed reports including point-to-point Google Maps printouts for every day and every single mile. The reports took about a half hour to complete (daily), and were submitted weekly

The pay was strictly commission, with no draw (this might have changed since I worked there.) When sold, the commission checks were okay, however this was pretty inconsistent. The sales force averaged about $35k-$40k, with the very TOP salesman in our office, working 6 days a week, 10-12 hours a day, topping out at around $60k, which was not what I was told would be realistic at my interview. I actually wound up making more from the car reimbursement than commissions.

In this market the products, while very good quality, were more than twice the price of nearly ANY competition, and naturally most people would want or have 2-3 estimates before buying from you. (This is another thing- they were very big on "one call closes" which, while it did happen occasionally, is pretty unrealistic for contracting and for a service that cost anywhere from $5k-$30k, often with the real decision-maker not present at the sales call.)

Like most sales jobs, the company would judge your performance based on your close ratio but this was also skewed- a person who bought after the initial call was counted as a second appointment. Say you completed, 10 appointments in a week and ALL of them called the morning after your visit to sign the contracts. Your "close rate" would be 100%, right? Wrong. "Be-backs" count as another "appointment", so even though all your customers bought, you only "closed" 50% according to the company's reckoning. You can imagine what this does if you "only" sold 3 out of ten that way. (Oddly enough, this also means that your close ratio would over 100% if you had more "be backs" close than you had appointments that week.)

Basically, after 6 months of 6 day weeks, driving an average of 800-1000 miles a week and often getting home at 11pm, I realized I was averaging about $5 an hour. Better rates at Starbuck's.

Our sales manager was a good guy, and worked hard, but stepped down to become a sales rep due to the stress and apparent lack of compensation from higher-up.

Do away with the Byzantine way of calculating performance- if a customer buys, he/she counts in the "sold" column.

Do something with your prices- sure the products are good, but they're not twice as good as anyone else's.

Do a better job of qualifying leads- the ones I made myself were fine, but the lead generators you hire in the stores are paid by appointment, and often I'd show up to find only one person home ("I need to discuss this with my spouse before signing), a person wanting something we didn't do (refinishing, custom cabinets, tile, etc.) or VERY often no idea that we were actually there to give an estimate and sell anything.

There are newer employer reviews for US Home Systems

Worked for US Home Systems? Contribute to the Community!