Generally a good place to start in government and/or healthcare.

I have been working at US Indian Health Service full-time for less than a year

Pros

I feel like in general IHS is a very laid-back environment. There is a good work-life balance, and I enjoy working with the people here. The work is also very rewarding, even in my case where I am working in a support setting and do not work directly with patients. I think a lot of the facilities tend to have a family atmosphere, and employees often help each other out in times of need. Depending on what you do, starting pay can be pretty good if you're in an area with a lower cost of living, and that is often the case in a lot of the regions served by IHS. You are also often given a lot of responsibility pretty quickly, which can be a pro or a con.

Cons

A lot of the drawbacks are typical of any large organization, especially in government. The saying "the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" applies a lot of the time. There is a real disconnect between the Area Offices and the various service units, with Area often wanting unreasonable or unrealistic things, or introducing new processes and procedures that are impractical and not well planned. Activities that should be simple are often made needlessly complicated due to all the people that have to be involved, both within each service unit and in each area office.

We are often at the mercy of Congress as far as our budget, pay, etc., which can be nervewracking at times.

Some service units have better resources than others as far as new employee training. Depending on where you are and what you do, you could find yourself working with little or no guidance, not even from direct supervisors. This can be pretty frustrating.

Although starting pay can be competitive in certain areas, many jobs have no promotion potential and the longer one stays, the less they are making given their experience level. In many cases it might be better if people move on to another agency after a few years if they wish to get to a higher grade or want promotional opportunities. Despite this, we do have a lot of long time employees who are dedicated to serving their communities.

Some areas of IHS are more remote than others, and that can be a lot fo adjust to, although there are also states and regions where it's not an issue at all.

Quit introducing change for the sake of change. A lot of things could be more efficient if the service units were allowed to handle things on their own or mostly on their own. It shouldn't take multiple people in multiple facilities just to order supplies or to pay vendors. More structured on-boarding for newer employees would also be helpful.

Other Reviews for US Indian Health Service

Great company

I worked at US Indian Health Service

Pros

As an engineer at the US Indian Health Service, I was able to expand problem solving skills while working with people of difference backgrounds including mechanical, civil, and architectural engineers. The people are great and they take a big interest in all of their employees. Not to mention the pay and benefits are great.

Cons

It may require some travel or relocation to very small town areas. This may not be the place for someone who is not comfortable with small town life.

The leadership at US Indian Health Services is wonderful. There is much respect among everyone. I would suggest making sure this trend does not alter and avoid any favoritism of any kind.

Indian Health Services IT

Current Employee - Information Technology
    Current Employee - Information Technology

I have been working at US Indian Health Service

Pros

Opportunity of Federal Benefits, potential for advancement within the IHS and in other Federal Services, potential for single career employment (don't have to job-hop)

Cons

Largest issue is being part of the Federal Bureaucracy and problems associated with that. The system is slow to react in many areas and funding/raises can be flat.

Work hard to retain the autonomy of being a separate division from withing the US Health and Human Services Department along with leveraging the resources of other government agencies.

There are newer employer reviews for US Indian Health Service.

Worked for US Indian Health Service? Contribute to the Community!