US Investigations Services

There are newer employer reviews for US Investigations Services

Unhappy Investigator

Current Employee - Senior Investigator in Fairfax, VA
Current Employee - Senior Investigator in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company car(although you pay a portion), flexible schedule, good coworkers, fair salary

Cons

Company no longer cares about employees. I am lucky and my TL is good at what he does and cares but he does not control the problems with this company. It has been well documented on this website that PTO has been cut and 401k has been taken away. I'm sure this is the beginning of other cuts to come. The workload has become increasingly ridiculous over the years. No matter how much you do they always ask for more and there is no end in sight. The ability to complete the work assigned in 40 hours is very diffcult. The health insurance is also quite bad, i realize that this has been a rising cost for all employers but it seems as if this company is worse.

Realize that your employee's(FI's not management) are what make the money for USIS. You let the management used their EARNED PTO but you take the FI's vacation time away. This is absurd considering the ability to take time off is restricted during the holiday season. Several years ago there was at least the illusion that the company cared/respected the FI. In recent months it seems as if you don't care if we stay or go. Also, please stop blaming eveything on OPM. I understand the USIS/OPM relationship but to blame them for all of our issues our riduclous. Everytime something is wrong or unfair it is OPM's fault. Senior managment should have done a better job with the re-bid when it was done last year. If Senior Management continues on this pace we will all be looking for jobs with CACI and Keypoint.

358 Other Employee Reviews for US Investigations Services (View Most Recent)

This is one fast sinking ship....

Current Employee - Senior Investigator
    Current Employee - Senior Investigator

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working from home and setting your own schedule. Meeting new people on a daily basis. Only seeing my supervisor two to three times per year.

Cons

Too numerous to list, but the most significant problem is the CEO, who has discovered that the quickest way to improve the profit margin is to take from the employees.

First and foremost, stop blaming our primary customer, OPM for the financial ruins brought on by your poor decisions and lack of management skills. Own your mistakes! It is not OPM's fault that you signed a contract that you were not properly staffed to handle. It is not OPM's fault that you are unable to hire, train, and maintain investigators in areas where they are needed. It is not OPM's fault that a significant portion of your workforce has left USIS to work for your competitors. It is not OPM's fault that you have created a work environment that has essentially led to USIS becoming Keyypoint's training division. It is not OPM's fault that you were forced by the Department of Labor to pay millions of dollars in retroactive payments to investigators last summer because you had paid them below the minimum required wages from 2008 to 2010. I hope that all investigators reading this realize that they were paid below the minimum prior to 2008. Yes, and you will receive those retroactive payments on the second payday during the month of Never because there is a statute of limitations, even when companies knowingly violate the laws governing wages for SCA contracts. It is not OPM's fault that you just lost a significant contract after 14 years. It is not OPM's fault that USIS's sister company, Hireright was just fined $2.6 million by the Federal Trade Commission for integrity violations.

I would advise all levels of management to keep their resumes current because the clock is ticking. Recent events have proven that the Team Leader position could simply go away tomorrow with no negative impact. When the company downsized from 130 to 100 Team Leaders, there was no negative impact. Where were the Team Leaders this past summer when we fell behind on cases due to our severe manpower shortage? Team Leaders are former Senior Investigators who are supposed to be subject matter experts in the field of background investigations. I would have thought that the first thing upper management would have done would be to immediately return all Team Leaders to the field full time to help with the growing backlog of cases. Think about it, we had 100 available "Subject Matter Experts" that could have been sent to the field immediately! But that is not what management did. No, management sent them all on vacation. That's right, while we were falling behind in the field and receiving substantial financial penalties because of our inability to meet our customer's deadlines, the Team Leaders were told to take their vacation time prior to October 1st so they would not lose any vacation. Of course, the rest of us were not given the opportunity to use our vacation time and I personally lost over 100 hours of vacation time that I had already accrued.

As for upper management, you are in a revolving door. I cannot even begin to list the company CEOs and Division presidents we have had over the past eleven years. I am sure your computer came with the exit form letter already saved to the hard drive. You know, the one where you thank us for all of our hard work, tell us how great it has been to work such a great group of people and announce your: "Decision to leave in order to pursue other opportunities..."

Lastly, I would like to recommend a change to your employee feedback system. The current system essentially has five basic steps: 1) send an email in which you reassure the employees how important they are and how concerned you are with their welfare. The email will contain a link to an employee survey. 2) Conduct the survey 3) Identify areas of concern 4) Form focus groups with Team Leaders to look at the areas of concern. 5) Wait three to six months, then return to step 1. My radical recommendation is this: I think you should add a step in which you actually develop and implement changes that address the areas of concern. Those of us that have been around for a while realize what an absolute waste of time your surveys have become. I think the only reason you continue to conduct the surveys is that it probably buys you a little time with the new hires who don't ' know any better.

The bottom line is that you are all about crisis management and never really address the actual problems. The biggest example, of course, is our shortage of investigators. Yes, being short hundreds of investigators was a definite problem and yes, you did address the problem by hiring hundreds of new investigators. You have not fixed the actual problem!!! These new people are not going to stay with USIS and the cycle will repeat itself. You need to fix the problems that are driving good employees to other companies.

Another contract lost, what can be next?

Current Employee - Senior Investigator in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Investigator in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Make your own schedule, great job for a second career, no contact with anyone and on your own as far as oversight.

Cons

Absolutely horrid work ethic of the company, especially with respect to their employees that make them the most money. Senior management as well as middle management have no clue what they are doing and dragging the company into the deepest depths of failure. No future work, no advancement and financial take backs yearly. Integrity, none existent and now we see what happens when you're not honest with your customers. I see federal prison time coming for a lot of people that were recently fired in WPA and management.

Leave, just all resign and let Providence come in and bring real leadership to what was a great company. Now with the loss of the special customer contract that was the gold standard of our work, we are only left with good old OPM, that has also been cutback due to many improprieties of WPA that has ruined our integrity, if any that was left. Wake up field and start voicing your distain for what is going on before we are all laid off. Demand change and trustworthy management.

Amazing how they sugar coat everything, explaining that this is the way the government works when they lose contracts. Are they really that stupid not to understand that we talk to each other daily and everything that goes on here we know and network all over. This is one of the companies biggest hurdles, being truthful with us in every area.

We can do better then this with real people that know how to manage and lead us into a successful organization, not this so called group of failed and overpriced corporate losers.

Oh yeah, HR please stop posting those complete false postings telling everyone how great this place is. Everyone knows its fake.

There are newer employer reviews for US Investigations Services