US Marine Corps

www.marines.mil
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for US Marine Corps

Fantastic job right out of college with significant responsibility, authority and leadership.

Current Employee - Analyst in Quantico, VA
Current Employee - Analyst in Quantico, VA

I have been working at US Marine Corps

Pros

- Leadership experience
- Unrivaled benefits
- Highly competitive pay
- Free medical
- Opportunity to travel and deploy
- Potential for some really exciting challenge such as...combat.

Cons

After an exciting intial tour, stand by for any number of mindless staff jobs. There is little room for creativity in many places and there is so much resistance and friction towards change. If you do a second tour, pick very VERY carefully. Even then it probably wont be very exciting or rewarding.

Actually do human resources! Track skill sets and education of the total population and assign people based off of that. Allow more flexibility in assignments. At headquarters please fight the tendency to hire retired Majors, LtCols and Cols and allow them to sit in their cubicles collected a pension and GS-12 to 15 pay to surf facebook or build their own little fiefdom of other retired office chair warmers.

2570 Other Employee Reviews for US Marine Corps (View Most Recent)

It has given me the discipline and an experience that can be found nowhere else on earth.

Current Employee - Marine Security Guard in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Marine Security Guard in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Marine Corps

Pros

Job experience - I would recommend doing something technical or being a grunt. Admin jobs do not transfer very well in the civilian world.

Discipline - If you need to change your life this is the organization to do it with.

Benefits - Great medical and dental. Not to mention a free gym and education.

Great people - I met some of the best people I have ever met here.

Great experience - It's tough at times, but you will look back without regrets. It is a hell of a time.

Travel - I have visited 7 countries and lived in 4 of them. Choose your jobs and opportunities wisely.

Pay - It's guaranteed. You'll always have a place to live and eat. Also you have enough to buy lots of stuff you want or you have plenty of room and bonus opportunities to save.

Cons

Management - You don't always get the cream of the corps.
    Pay - No overtime. You will do overtime.
    Passing of information - You will ask yourself why a lot and you will never ever find out. Information is often poorly passed.
    Sense - Forget about that thing called sense you will see that it often doesn't apply in the military.

Your failure leads your followers to failure. Be the best leaders you can be so that your junior Marines know how to take the lead. Anger and maltreatment is a bad leadership trait that many Marines feel is what leadership is made of.

Enlisted air traffic controller

Current Employee - Air Traffic Controller in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Air Traffic Controller in Tustin, CA

I have been working at US Marine Corps

Pros

Great training, international travel, good people

Cons

Long days and dangerous enviornments

N/A