There are newer employer reviews for US Marine Corps

I regret the last five years of my life.

Current Employee - Aircraft Mechanic - Powerline in Beaufort, SC
Current Employee - Aircraft Mechanic - Powerline in Beaufort, SC

I have been working at US Marine Corps

Pros

The GI bill will pay for a college education. Health insurance is free for service member. Job skills can be obtained if you recieve a worthwhile MOS, however many people do not recieve the job they desire.

Cons

-Total loss of personal freedom and civil rights.
-For unmarried E-6 and below you are required to live in barracks (basically a college dorm room) on base. For unmarried E-4 and below you will have a roomate in your barracks room.
-The second leading cause of death for Marines is suicide, I believe this statistic speaks for itself.
-Until a Marine achieves the status of a senior E-3 or E-4 he/she should expect to be treated very poorly on a daily basis to include acts of hazing, verble abuse, undesirable work tasks such as cleaning bathrooms, waxing floors, etc.
-Overall I do not recomend joining the Marine Corps unless you have no better option

Advice to Management

Consider offereing BAH to single Marines of all ranks. Although very expensive I believe it alleviate a lot of stress and will decrease the epidmic of suicides in the Marine Corps

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. The Promotion looks more into what you look like on paper instead of how you are in person.

Former Employee - Infantry Squad Leader in Camp Pendleton, CA
    Former Employee - Infantry Squad Leader in Camp Pendleton, CA

I worked at US Marine Corps

Pros

Pay can be great at times especially on deployment. Most holidays off, unless deployed. The comraderie of the Marines you work with.

Cons

Everyone is really there to look out for themselves, make themselves look good, and sorry if anyone else REALLY needs something. 1 Mistake and you are gone. Yet the ones that baby their way through everything, and slide through the cracks are what most of the "Higher ups" are comprised of.

Advice to Management

Stop looking into what the Marine solely looks like on paper and rely more on what the Marines around them and ones that work with them on a daily basis have to say.

2. I have achieved my goals but not my expectations that the recruiters will have you believe.

Current Employee - Avionics Technician in Beaufort, SC
    Current Employee - Avionics Technician in Beaufort, SC

I have been working at US Marine Corps

Pros

Job security, benefits, ability to grow in leadership, training in technical fields, serving abroad, opportunities to take on other jobs, paid vacation.

Cons

Controlling, in your face, intimidating, stressful, low pay, micromanaging, competency of management, not family oriented (you will spend lots of time away from spouse/children/parents/friends).

Advice to Management

I believe that it is too easy for SNCO's to accieve their rank. I feel like many of them are under qualified because of the promotion system is simply done through a "brag sheet" which is approved through somebody that doesn't spend any time with them. I feel like SNCO's should have a minimum of an associates degree in their related field, and their subordinates should have a better anonymous way of sharing their opinions about their leadership, and doing it in a crowd can be intimidating and non effective.