There are newer employer reviews for US Marine Corps

See the world!

Former Employee - Sergeant  in  Camp Pendleton, CA
Former Employee - Sergeant in Camp Pendleton, CA

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You get to see the world.

Cons

Sometimes you have to see parts of the world you never wanted to.

2124 Other Employee Reviews for US Marine Corps (View Most Recent)

The Few, The Proud.

Former Employee - E5 - Marines - Sergeant  in  Great Lakes, IL
    Former Employee - E5 - Marines - Sergeant in Great Lakes, IL

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Intensive introductory training builds valuable skills, values, and traditions that you will carry with you for the rest of your life, and believe me, that's a good thing! You will build friendships, acquaintances, and connections that you can and will rely on for the rest of your life. Nothing is more rewarding than being one of the few and the proud to earn the title of US Marine.

Those who have the intestinal fortitude to make it through one or more tours will never, ever regret what they have accomplished. I look back and am still proud of my Marines, and our accomplishments. This is why employers look to Marines first, because they have the skills, willpower, and training to make it through whatever life puts in their path.

The Dress Blue uniform is probably the best and most respected uniform in the entire world.

Cons

It's hard. It's like nothing you've ever experienced in your entire life unless you were a Navy Seal or perhaps an Army Ranger. The basic training for Marines is just about as intense as the advanced training for most other branches of the armed services. If you really want a challenge then once you complete Boot Camp you can try out for Marine Force Recon or Scout Sniper School, both of which are extremely intense and challenging. The flip side of all this difficult and intense training is that it is completely and totally rewarding once you complete it.

I would say that the only advice I can give to management is what I've learned from watching the good, and less good leaders (Officers in this case) in the Marine Corps. I have learned that the most important thing that you can learn from being a leader of Marines is to listen to your senior enlisted, they certainly listen to their junior enlisted, whether they admit it or not.

Those who have been through it time and time again know a LOT more than you think you know out of Officer (or Manager) training. Those who know this simple rule are the best leaders in the world, and it's not just for the Marine Corps. This is not to say that you have to follow everything they say, but when you ask their advice, they will tell you stright up what is the best option.

I've seen it time and time again, whether it be in factories, retail stores, or on the battlefield. Those who don't at least listen to what the boots on the ground have to say are just throwing away a huge advantage, and for no good reason. It never hurts to listen.

Oustanding Leadership Training

Current Employee - O-4, Marine, Major  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - O-4, Marine, Major in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Best leadership training possible. Significant responsibility in any almost any speciaty early on. Varied locations. An opportunity to make a difference and give something back to your country.

Cons

Family life suffers. Can be sent to undesireable locations. Can interfere in personal life. Will deploy. Must adapt to military lifestyle and structure.

Continue to develop leaders and fight to maintain portion of the defense budget that supports personnel.

There are newer employer reviews for US Marine Corps

Worked for US Marine Corps? Contribute to the Community!