The Few, The Proud.

Former Employee - E5 - Marines - Sergeant in Great Lakes, IL
Former Employee - E5 - Marines - Sergeant in Great Lakes, IL

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Intensive introductory training builds valuable skills, values, and traditions that you will carry with you for the rest of your life, and believe me, that's a good thing! You will build friendships, acquaintances, and connections that you can and will rely on for the rest of your life. Nothing is more rewarding than being one of the few and the proud to earn the title of US Marine.

Those who have the intestinal fortitude to make it through one or more tours will never, ever regret what they have accomplished. I look back and am still proud of my Marines, and our accomplishments. This is why employers look to Marines first, because they have the skills, willpower, and training to make it through whatever life puts in their path.

The Dress Blue uniform is probably the best and most respected uniform in the entire world.

Cons

It's hard. It's like nothing you've ever experienced in your entire life unless you were a Navy Seal or perhaps an Army Ranger. The basic training for Marines is just about as intense as the advanced training for most other branches of the armed services. If you really want a challenge then once you complete Boot Camp you can try out for Marine Force Recon or Scout Sniper School, both of which are extremely intense and challenging. The flip side of all this difficult and intense training is that it is completely and totally rewarding once you complete it.

Advice to Management

I would say that the only advice I can give to management is what I've learned from watching the good, and less good leaders (Officers in this case) in the Marine Corps. I have learned that the most important thing that you can learn from being a leader of Marines is to listen to your senior enlisted, they certainly listen to their junior enlisted, whether they admit it or not.

Those who have been through it time and time again know a LOT more than you think you know out of Officer (or Manager) training. Those who know this simple rule are the best leaders in the world, and it's not just for the Marine Corps. This is not to say that you have to follow everything they say, but when you ask their advice, they will tell you stright up what is the best option.

I've seen it time and time again, whether it be in factories, retail stores, or on the battlefield. Those who don't at least listen to what the boots on the ground have to say are just throwing away a huge advantage, and for no good reason. It never hurts to listen.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good TIme, not for all

Current Employee - Sergeant in Fort Meade, MD
    Current Employee - Sergeant in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great to help you get a positive direction in your life
    Good Promotion if you are able to keep up with physical fitness standards

Cons

To many people get promoted that don't have the skills to lead in that job.
    Not a great choice in career direction "needs of the Corps" trumps desire of the individual.

2. Oustanding Leadership Training

Current Employee - O-4, Marine, Major in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - O-4, Marine, Major in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best leadership training possible. Significant responsibility in any almost any speciaty early on. Varied locations. An opportunity to make a difference and give something back to your country.

Cons

Family life suffers. Can be sent to undesireable locations. Can interfere in personal life. Will deploy. Must adapt to military lifestyle and structure.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop leaders and fight to maintain portion of the defense budget that supports personnel.