There are newer employer reviews for US Marine Corps

Roller Coaster

Former Employee - Infantry Squad Leader  in  Camp Lejeune, NC
Former Employee - Infantry Squad Leader in Camp Lejeune, NC

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This was an excellent experience and great for my career. Even though I was in the infantry, many employers have been willing to interview me because of leadership experience and the excellence that USMC training exudes.

Cons

Poor leadership makes a world of difference. A bad chain of command makes for many unpleasantries.

So much lies with the leadership. I was in several platoons and companies while in, each operating differently. While always combat effective, only one truly embodied the brotherhood of the Corps, which I attribute to true leadership from the company level on down.

2154 Other Employee Reviews for US Marine Corps (View Most Recent)

In the Marine Corps you will have job security and a good chance for advancement, plus benefits.

Current Employee - Radio Technician  in  Jacksonville, NC
    Current Employee - Radio Technician in Jacksonville, NC

I have been working at US Marine Corps as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

As long as you keep your nose clean you have a steady, and increasing pay check as you progress your career in the Marine Corps. You have free medical and dental and the opportunity for corrective eye surgery. Also, they have a 20 year retirement if you decide to stay in. Some jobs have a signing or re-enlistment bonus and the opportunity to lead Marines as you progress in rank. You don't work holidays and you get 30 days paid vacation a year.

Cons

Some of the downsides of being a Marine are your working hours, most places have a loose working schedule ranging from 5 AM to 8 PM. Sometimes you will work weekends and be gone from your family and friends for up to 1 year.

My only advice to management would be to continue to set the example. I don't see it as much with Officers but some of the Staff Non-Commissioned Officers continually say one thing and do another. Remember that all of the young Marines look up to you no matter the rank, you alone can either make or break a Marine's career, as not everyone has the chance to see more than 1 unit in their first enlistment.

Prior Enlisted Infantry Officer

Former Employee - Infantry Officer  in  Camp Pendleton, CA
    Former Employee - Infantry Officer in Camp Pendleton, CA

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people, opportunity to make a difference

Cons

Demanding deployment cycle and work/life imbalance

There are newer employer reviews for US Marine Corps

Worked for US Marine Corps? Contribute to the Community!