US National Guard

www.arng.army.mil
  www.arng.army.mil
There are newer employer reviews for US National Guard

All the benefits of active duty, without all the deployments

Current Employee - Operations Officer in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Operations Officer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at US National Guard

Pros

Pay, retirement, and benefits are the same as Active Duty. Advancement generally is based on competency rather than "good old boy". The Guard is far more professional as an organization than when I first joined in 1987.

Cons

As Active-Guard-Reserve, there are only so many slots allowed in each state, especially at the higher ranks. I've been stuck at several ranks, even though I boarded high enough to get promoted, because there were no open slots.

Remove the stigma of working at NGB. Currently, it's generally thought of as the place people who couldn't make it at the state level go to escape early retirement.

215 Other Employee Reviews for US National Guard (View Most Recent)

Great, but like other jobs, much of it is what you make of it. No one will hold your hand through the process.

Current Employee - Team Leader in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Portland, OR

I have been working at US National Guard

Pros

Great training/education opportunities
    Leadership experience
    Develop ability to work under pressure
    Camaraderie

Cons

Promotions can be frustrating with slots being filled by less competent individuals.
    Senior leadership is often incompetent due to gaining position through an unrelated college degree and commission and not experience.

Involve N.C.O.s in all of your processes in order to gain real experience, insight as to how to really get things done, and gain the respect of your subordinates.

Staff Officer

Current Employee - Major in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Major in Arlington, VA

I have been working at US National Guard

Pros

its a safe job in a turbulent economy, plenty of time for physical fitness, positive and motivated work environment and peers

Cons

subject to the needs of the us army national guard, poor location for access to metro (i.e. must take a shuttle), inadequate parking

There are newer employer reviews for US National Guard