There are newer employer reviews for US National Guard

Provided me with a wealth of knowledge and skills to be shared outside of the government

Current Employee - Supply Sergeant in Honolulu, HI
Current Employee - Supply Sergeant in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at US National Guard

Pros

Provide you a sense of pride, camaraderie, financial stability, skill sets, certifications that may be viable in the civilian workforce.

Cons

Deployable, separation from family, occasionally life threatening

State specific benefit package for traditional soldiers could be and should be upgraded.

201 Other Employee Reviews for US National Guard (View Most Recent)

All the benefits of active duty, without all the deployments

Current Employee - Operations Officer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Operations Officer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at US National Guard

Pros

Pay, retirement, and benefits are the same as Active Duty. Advancement generally is based on competency rather than "good old boy". The Guard is far more professional as an organization than when I first joined in 1987.

Cons

As Active-Guard-Reserve, there are only so many slots allowed in each state, especially at the higher ranks. I've been stuck at several ranks, even though I boarded high enough to get promoted, because there were no open slots.

Remove the stigma of working at NGB. Currently, it's generally thought of as the place people who couldn't make it at the state level go to escape early retirement.

Great, but like other jobs, much of it is what you make of it. No one will hold your hand through the process.

Current Employee - Team Leader in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Portland, OR

I have been working at US National Guard

Pros

Great training/education opportunities
    Leadership experience
    Develop ability to work under pressure
    Camaraderie

Cons

Promotions can be frustrating with slots being filled by less competent individuals.
    Senior leadership is often incompetent due to gaining position through an unrelated college degree and commission and not experience.

Involve N.C.O.s in all of your processes in order to gain real experience, insight as to how to really get things done, and gain the respect of your subordinates.

There are newer employer reviews for US National Guard