There are newer employer reviews for US National Guard

Disappointed because of expectations and promises were much higher than what was delivered

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

- Pride for serving in the National Guard - Opportunities for cool training experiences - The goals of the missions, and the National Guard as a whole is something you can morally and ethically stand behind - Worked with some quality individuals and learned some great life lessons along the way - If you love your country like I do, you will find that even with the hardships and frustrations you can find a purpose in what you do and you can know that what you are doing has, in some way or another, a positive affect on the country, your family, and yourself.

Cons

- Anything that the employee does not have control over is often neglected. Some of the benefits (Montgomery GI Bill, Tuition Assistance, and other educational benefits) that I have applied, qualified, and done all possible steps that are within my locus of control have taken months longer than what they should. For example, my Tuition Assistance was filled out and billed to the National Guard by myself and my school, it was approved, but now the funds are "pending" and have been for 2 months. No matter who I have talked to about this, there seems to be no resolution because no problem really exists. I have done every thing I can to move the process along, but to no avail. - Instead of doing the job I have been trained to do, I have been doing nothing but needless paperwork, training for unrelated jobs, and a whole lot of sitting around feeling useless. - The NCOs (management) in my unit seem unable or unwilling to complete tasks and take care of their soldiers, which is their primary duty.

Advice to Management

Train the NCOs that are in charge of soldiers to understand how to approach and resolve their subordinates' issues, whether it means pointing them in the direction of someone with the specific knowledge and resources to resolve the problem, or to resolve the issue themselves using their resources and knowledge. Develop a better system than only using the chain of command (or improve how things move through the chain of command) in order to limit the distortion of the information being sent through to the intended recipient.

Other Employee Reviews for US National Guard

1. It was a rewarding experience that gives back as much as you contribute.

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

The NG provides great opportunities for a post-secondary education at little or no cost. Great progression and leadership training for future careers. This is a part time organization with opportunities for full-time.

Cons

As a military entity, there is always a potential for deployment. Not an organization to be a part of "just for the benefits". Must be willing and able to dedicate at least one weekend a month and 2 weeks per year for duty, which requires an absence from home.

Advice to Management

From my view, there appears to be a glass ceiling in the senior leadership positions. More transparent efforts should be made by the HR office to mentor minority junior leaders for growth.

2. My experience was alright.

Former Employee - Cannon Crew Member in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cannon Crew Member in Houston, TX

Pros

The pay and benefits they come with the job.

Cons

The senior management is awful.

Advice to Management

Stay on the readiness NCOs to do their paperwork. I wanted to stay in but wanted change my MOS and unit and my senior management gave me the round about because I wouldn't reenlist on their books. Now I am now ready to ETS.