US National Guard

www.arng.army.mil

Disappointed because of expectations and promises were much higher than what was delivered

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

Pros- Pride for serving in the National Guard
- Opportunities for cool training experiences
- The goals of the missions, and the National Guard as a whole is something you can morally and ethically stand behind
- Worked with some quality individuals and learned some great life lessons along the way
- If you love your country like I do, you will find that even with the hardships and frustrations you can find a purpose in what you do and you can know that what you are doing has, in some way or another, a positive affect on the country, your family, and yourself.

Cons- Anything that the employee does not have control over is often neglected. Some of the benefits (Montgomery GI Bill, Tuition Assistance, and other educational benefits) that I have applied, qualified, and done all possible steps that are within my locus of control have taken months longer than what they should. For example, my Tuition Assistance was filled out and billed to the National Guard by myself and my school, it was approved, but now the funds are "pending" and have been for 2 months. No matter who I have talked to about this, there seems to be no resolution because no problem really exists. I have done every thing I can to move the process along, but to no avail.
- Instead of doing the job I have been trained to do, I have been doing nothing but needless paperwork, training for unrelated jobs, and a whole lot of sitting around feeling useless.
- The NCOs (management) in my unit seem unable or unwilling to complete tasks and take care of their soldiers, which is their primary duty.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain the NCOs that are in charge of soldiers to understand how to approach and resolve their subordinates' issues, whether it means pointing them in the direction of someone with the specific knowledge and resources to resolve the problem, or to resolve the issue themselves using their resources and knowledge.
Develop a better system than only using the chain of command (or improve how things move through the chain of command) in order to limit the distortion of the information being sent through to the intended recipient.

It was a rewarding experience that gives back as much as you contribute.

Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at US National Guard

Pros: The NG provides great opportunities for a post-secondary education at little or no cost. Great progression… Cons: As a military entity, there is always a potential for deployment. Not an organization to be a part of "just for the benefits". … Advice to Senior Management: From my view, there appears to be a glass ceiling in the senior leadership positions. … More

Army of One

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Salem, OR

I have been working at US National Guard

Pros: Great place to earn a part time wage and gain some great benifits for college. You… Cons: Lack of international travel avalible. Advice to Senior Management: Focus on communication, it is the focus of everything and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on US National Guard.

Worked for US National Guard? Contribute to the Community!