US National Guard

US Army National Guard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at US National Guard

Pros

Leadership Development Opportunities
Health Benefits
Educational Benefits

Cons

Political appointees hold leadership positions regardless of qualifications.

215 Other Employee Reviews for US National Guard (View Most Recent)

A complete let down

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at US National Guard

Pros

Education benefits once you are discharged.

Cons

Leadership in the last few years have started a head hunting mission for any one who makes a mistake. The thoughts at the lower level are one of being scared and a "yes" menatality to leaders. Leadership wants loyalty upwards but when anything goes wrong or you make a mistake you are thrown under the bus and left to die. Adverse actions against soldiers are so rampant that everyone is scared to do anything or disagree with leadership.

I was always told that if I made a mistake I would be counseled, re-trained the continue in my job. Know it is make a mistake and get hammered.

Disappointed because of expectations and promises were much higher than what was delivered

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at US National Guard

Pros

- Pride for serving in the National Guard
    - Opportunities for cool training experiences
    - The goals of the missions, and the National Guard as a whole is something you can morally and ethically stand behind
    - Worked with some quality individuals and learned some great life lessons along the way
    - If you love your country like I do, you will find that even with the hardships and frustrations you can find a purpose in what you do and you can know that what you are doing has, in some way or another, a positive affect on the country, your family, and yourself.

Cons

- Anything that the employee does not have control over is often neglected. Some of the benefits (Montgomery GI Bill, Tuition Assistance, and other educational benefits) that I have applied, qualified, and done all possible steps that are within my locus of control have taken months longer than what they should. For example, my Tuition Assistance was filled out and billed to the National Guard by myself and my school, it was approved, but now the funds are "pending" and have been for 2 months. No matter who I have talked to about this, there seems to be no resolution because no problem really exists. I have done every thing I can to move the process along, but to no avail.
    - Instead of doing the job I have been trained to do, I have been doing nothing but needless paperwork, training for unrelated jobs, and a whole lot of sitting around feeling useless.
    - The NCOs (management) in my unit seem unable or unwilling to complete tasks and take care of their soldiers, which is their primary duty.

Train the NCOs that are in charge of soldiers to understand how to approach and resolve their subordinates' issues, whether it means pointing them in the direction of someone with the specific knowledge and resources to resolve the problem, or to resolve the issue themselves using their resources and knowledge.
    Develop a better system than only using the chain of command (or improve how things move through the chain of command) in order to limit the distortion of the information being sent through to the intended recipient.

There are newer employer reviews for US National Guard