There are newer employer reviews for US National Guard

"Never doubt yourself, appreciate your skills and continue to strive!

Current Employee - Logistics Manager  in  Tacoma, WA
Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at US National Guard

Pros

Networking both business and leisure. Travel opportunities (both domestic and international). Unlike traditional active duty miliatry; one individual may wear multiple hats (in charge of multiple duties - missions). It is essential to multitask, to complete the task within the National Guard; in turn prepares the individual for any job at most levels. Education is encouraged and supported financially.

Cons

Sometimes depending on the mission at hand; long hours are expected. Long deployments overseas, are sometimes discouraging to families. In addition to deployments, the risk of being under harms way (hazardous work enviroment).

Recognition to subordinates is crucial to productivity. Employees should feel appreciated; the productivity reflects an employees attitude of his/hers work enviroment. Employees understand duties must be performed and completed, but a pat on the back pays dividends.

197 Other Employee Reviews for US National Guard (View Most Recent)

Stable pay and good retirement benefits command attention.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL

I have been working at US National Guard

Pros

Excellent college benefits, job stability, and excellent retirement plan.

Cons

At the higher levels, lack of communication readily occurs with key mid-management personnel. Unfortunately, there are many "cliques" still around. This combined with some managers lacking real leadership experience leads to inappropriate favoritism, lack of respect for solid employees who do have the knowledge and experience, and poor decissions being made. Managers with weak morals and ethics are more worried about their own personal advances rather than the good of the company and true teamwork. Taking care of themselves and looking good is the main focus while dealing with real issues open and honestly and treating personnel with respect is an afterthought at best.

Look closely at the personnel in place at the next lower level and honestly evaluate their effectiveness. See how they treat their employees and look at their personal productivity. Consider removing those who do not have the necessary experience and placing them out to positions requiring them to work from the bottom up.

Proudly serving and protecting our freedoms!!

Current Employee - S6 - Communications Officer  in  Smyrna, TN
    Current Employee - S6 - Communications Officer in Smyrna, TN

I have been working at US National Guard

Pros

Job Security, better than average pay, and unbeatable benefits!!! Working in a position that I can actually fight for what I believe in and protect the freedoms that we enjoy on a day-to-day basis. Job satisfaction that no other job can compare to. Truly feel that I am a part of something that is greater than the individual and each individual is genuinely committed to during their best as a team. An absence of hypocrisy and back stabbing that I saw in the corporate world. Leadership and education opportunities that is unheard of in the corporate world. A support system that is truly their for you.

Cons

Time away from the family for long periods of time. Working in environments that are inherently dangerous and hostile.

Fight to maintain the current level of pay, benefits and headcount.

There are newer employer reviews for US National Guard

Worked for US National Guard? Contribute to the Community!