US National Guard

There are newer employer reviews for US National Guard

I have been working part-time for the US Army National guard for over 11 years

Current Employee - Forward Signal Support NCO in Washington, PA
Current Employee - Forward Signal Support NCO in Washington, PA

I have been working at US National Guard part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good educational benefits if you do not serve overseas and excellent educational benefits if you serve multiple tours overseas. Decent medical and dental benefits (if you do not mind making a small co-payment every month), Good work experience (if you do not mind traveling, getting deployed, or dealing with different levels of leadership within this organization). Mostly importantly, taking the pride in your work and the fact that you are serving your country.

Cons

This organization can take you away from your home, job, and loved ones most of the time because of training, deployments, professional development schools, and MOS schools/classes. Since this organization can have each soldier away from their home, job, and loved ones for extended periods of time, the hardships that each soldier endures from these requirements start to out weigh the benefits that are earned from serving in this organization.

Learn to take care of your soldiers, which means the low enlisted soldiers should come first.

208 Other Employee Reviews for US National Guard (View Most Recent)

Difficult if you have ever been on active duty

Current Employee - Combat Engineer in Owensboro, KY
    Current Employee - Combat Engineer in Owensboro, KY

I have been working at US National Guard part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits such as health insurance, college tuition assistance, federal techniican program

Cons

perhaps some of them most toxic leadership I've ever encountered,

Get the mindset of the Guard out from combat operation in foreign lands and back to what the Guard is really about, helping out in the community during disasters, training to use chainsaws and other tools to help out when tree are downed, setting up disaster relief points for supplys.

My time in the military I was always to play the game and keep moving forward.

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at US National Guard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The National Guard Pay for college.

Cons

The promotion process is unfair because in can be 1 on the state promotion list but they give it to their friends .

I would say if you want to be in the military and have a job you should join the regular Army.

There are newer employer reviews for US National Guard