There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

Awesome...hoping to become a GS civilian again sometime soon.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at US Navy

Pros

Nice benefits, competitive salary, great advancement opportunities, tuition reimbursement/college money.

Cons

If you are active duty, the better you are at your job, the harder and more you work to make up for lack of planning and those who don't put in their fair share of work/ responsibility. As a civilian, it's a totally different story, and the old adage "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine" actually means something, if you work at a small command which does not have the funds to pay you overtime (in other words, you are guaranteed only a 40 hr workweek). Trust me, if you value work/life balance more than pay, you want it this way, even if it means you might be on the bottom of the pay scale for the position you are applying/interviewing for. You get performance reviews yearly and can always advance pay raises by steps so that will change. Active duty was a great experience and afforded me a great work ethic and a lot of skills I can use anywhere, but I very much prefer the normal 40 hour week as a GS civilian so I can spend time with my family, especially as a military spouse now, whose active duty husband deploys.

3615 Other Employee Reviews for US Navy (View Most Recent)

Not Just a Job, An Adventure

Current Employee - Naval Officer
    Current Employee - Naval Officer

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

Variety of Work
    Leadership Opportunities
    High Tech

Cons

Civil Service employees treat the military personnel as an annoyance even though we're the reason for their existence.

Get the civilian overhead structure and power structure under control

Proud to wear the uniform.

Current Employee - Navy Officer
    Current Employee - Navy Officer

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

Sense of pride in serving our great Nation. Great travel opportunities. Excellent training and education.

Cons

The work can be long, tedeous, and potentially dangerous. Requires extended stays away from family. This job is not for everyone.

There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

Worked for US Navy? Contribute to the Community!