There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

Working in the US Navy is, by far, one of the most fulfilling opportunities in life.

Current Employee - Dentist in Beaufort, SC
Current Employee - Dentist in Beaufort, SC

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

Opportunity to work with world-class peers, competitive pay, incredible health and dental benefits, a retirement package 2nd to none... pride, professionalism... it has it all.

Cons

Deployments and time away from family. Obviously, risk of death.

Senior leadership, specifically within the Navy Dental Corps, needs to get back to doing business like was done before the merger with Medical. They have lost their spines and ability to make decisions. Additionally, senior leadership is only concerned with getting themselves and their buddies promoted. It has become and ugly situation.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great people to work with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

You get the opportunity to have lots of different experiences, work with great people, and do work that is really making a difference in the world.

Cons

The downside of working in the US Navy is that the operational tempo is high. Most sailors spend a great deal of time away from their family and friends.

2. Very rewarding and superb experiences for travel, training, and education that are hard to find anywhere else,

Current Employee - Cryptologic Technician "Networks" in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Cryptologic Technician "Networks" in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

Travel, Education, and Training. Steady job employment. Health Care and benefits are very good. Retirement with a pension after a minimum of 20 years. People truly take care of one another an it is truly a profession for which you can feel proud of. The Navy allowed me to
    get my MBA, CISSP, and Security+. It also allowed me to live in Italy, Japan, Virginia Beach as well as traveling throughout Europe and the South Pacific.

Cons

Just entering the Navy, the starting pay is very low. Deployment on a ship is very likely and this can be arduous. Also, moving every two to three years can be looked as difficult as well but it offers offers opportunites to see the world. As in any organization, it is based on how much you want to achieve. I sometimes feel the Navy should be more selective on whom they hire and should more quickly remove poor performers.

The U.S. Navy leadership is the best. Very concerned with it's personnel and I very rarely worked in poor management over a 23 year career.

There are newer employer reviews for US Navy