There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

Many complex and diverse challenges that allowed me to be tested and excel.

Former Employee - E7 - Navy - Chief Petty Officer
Former Employee - E7 - Navy - Chief Petty Officer

I worked at US Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Everyone has the same opportunities to demonstrate their abilities and excel. Those that want achieve, and those who don't won't.

Cons

Long work hours, and rapidly changing work schedule. The military is a microcosm of the United States, where the bad apples are only amplified and can cause low team morale.

Advice to Management

Role confusion and ambiguity abounds.

reviews filtered by
  1. Secure employment

Current Employee - Fire Controlman Second Class (Display Technician) in Yokosuka, Kanagawa (Japan)

I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent working hours, under-ways can be long and tiring 7-day week adventures. You wear many different hats. You will be a firefighter, technician, custodian, manager, dock worker, soldier, food service assistance, security guard and training team member.

Cons

Feels like an extension of high school. Most kids are college age, like to drink party and have had no real world experience. You are trapped in that mentality your whole career if you go enlisted, and officers get brought down to their level.

Advice to Management

If you keep treating us like children, the more childish we will get.

2. Logistics Professional

I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Serving my country, travel, not working for the all mighty dollar (although always trying to save some or do more with less).
    Been a fantastic experience, one I've enjoyed for over 20 years but it's not for everyone and you need to look at your own thoughts prior to joining. This said it also a great place to start a career which give you a very direct grounding in multi-tasking, where time, funding, resources and information are amoung your constraints. I would do it again...

Cons

Many changes are coming with the reduction in DoD budgets which will make support the force more difficult over the next few years. As with any job, sometimes it's who you know and not what you know.